Looking to upgrade iMac G4 ram, thoughts?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like some opinions. I have a 17" iMac G4 (1.25 GHz) that I bought in the summer of 2004. The computer is so darn reliable. Other than a small problem that Apple Care took care of back in the day, I haven't had a single problem with my trusty iMac. It's a trooper. 7 years, tens of thousands of pictures, thousands of dollars in iTunes purchases, and several girlfriends later, my little computer is starting to lag a bit. Over the past couple of years, he's been sporting his little turning beach ball (or is it a windmill?) a little too much. It's just not as zippy as it used to be.

I have a Gateway laptop with Windows 7 on it (PS, Gateway and Microsoft can bite me...it/they really does/do suck) that I take to school and such, and then use my mac for emails, pictures, music, a game or two, web browsing, etc. I'm planning on purchasing a new iMac as a Christmas present to myself, but am thinking about doing a little upgrading in the meantime.

As I said, my iMac is 17" and has the 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 processor with Mac OS X 10.4.11 installed. It has an 80 GB hard drive (I have an attached external, as well), and is running on 256 MB of ram. 256 is peanuts these days. I mean, I can probably find more than 256 MB's of ram sitting underneath my sofa cushions. I was looking around, and I can upgrade the ram to 2 GB for relatively cheap. I have an iPhone as well, and had to go through the hassle (putting it lightly) of transferring, syncing, and setting it up with my Windows laptop because I can't upgrade iTunes on my Mac anymore because of memory requirements.

So, I was wondering if you all could lend me your professional opinions on this one. Will upgrading to 2 gigs give me a noticeable performance boost? I would probably also then install Leopard (10.5) on the system due to having met the memory requirements.

I'm still obviously going to be getting a new iMac by the end of the year, but still plan on keeping this little guy. He's my little media hub, and I am, quite frankly, emotionally attached ;P

Any thoughts/opinions/advice will be greatly appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So, I was wondering if you all could lend me your professional opinions on this one. Will upgrading to 2 gigs give me a noticeable performance boost? I would probably also then install Leopard (10.5) on the system due to having met the memory requirements.

Well I can't give you a "professional" opinion...but I'll give you an "opinion"!;)

Yes...upgrading your ram would definitely help. Like you said...256meg is nothing. Also...if you decide to upgrade your iMac G4 to OS 10.5...if you don't have a 10.5 install disk...gonna cost you $100+ to get one.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
256 MB Ram is way too small really for even Tiger 10.4.11! 2GB would give you a much snappier machine. With Leopard it will help even more but Leopard might not be as snappy on that machine as Tiger. I have a 1.25Ghz Mini with 1GB RAM and 10.5 and it's quite useable for all the basics. Only issue with the G4 minis is 1GB is the Max I can upgrade.

Check OWC and be sure and get the correct RAM for your Imac G4.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac/G4_1.0GHz_1.25GHz

There is a User upgrade slot and an internal factory slot. This shows how to access the insides to upgrade the Internal RAM slot.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/imac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.