LED Screen Questions

Reaction score
I just bought a MBP from BestBuy, 2.4ghz model. I am a first time Mac user, switching from a Toshiba notebook with Vista. (my job is in IT dept of a company on Windows). I want to verify my screen is backlit by LED, not CCFL. How can I tell? It is the 15" model, S/N W88305CEYJX.

My Toshiba is a few years old now, and is CCFL backlit. The screen used to be much brighter--I assume LED never loses brightness over time as a fluorescent light will?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can check your model number\SN on the Apple site to verify that it has an LED backlight. I believe it does.

As far as LED versus CCFL goes, both will degrade in brightness over time. The difference, however, with a LED backlight is that it uses much less power and has a significantly longer life than CCFL. By the time your LED backlight is noticeably dimmer, you'll be long overdue for a new machine. :D

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
You definitely have an LED backlight...

You don't have to worry about checking ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Yes its an LED don't worry. Crank up the brightness and that should clearly tell you that as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
The easier way for me to tell is by adjusting the brightness and carefully watching it. The LED lit displays have a much notchier increment (if that makes any sense) whereas the cathode based units are smoother when being turned up and down.

Based on your post, I can almost guarantee you have an LED based display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.