OS X Install failure, HHD will not spin

M

Moxie

Hello,

I have an iMac 500, and the original 40GB hard drive was making a loud hum, so I replaced it. I got the hard drive (40GB WD IDE) surplused out of a PC. I got through the 1st few steps of the install fine, booting off my 10.3.5 CD. But then..

1) I went to disk doctor to reformat and partition the drive. It seemed to be paritioned still for the PC.

2) I tried to erase the larger partition, but it froze during creating partition map, and I restarted. I tried again, this time to erase the drive. No luck, got an error after a while.

3) Tried to boot again off the CD. This time nothing will work, it spins the CD, then I get a white blank screen. I cannot remove the CD, holding down the mouse did not work. If I wait long enough, I will get a flashing question mark/smily face. This then switches just to a folder, and then back again....

4)Will not boot off the HDD or CD. Holding down C does not seem to help. The hard drive does not sound like it is spinning.

Help!!

p.s. checked firmware before install. Already had an older version of panther installed OK before new drive...

OP
M

mateo107

HDD problems

Well - the first thing I would do would be to check the jumper setting on the HDD you put in. It sounds like it may be set incorrectly. Generally speaking, my iMacs like to work on 'CableSelect', but will sometimes work on "Master/Single". Very rarely will they work with "Master with Slave attached", and even more infrequently with "Slave" setting.

Also, I'd try re-partitioning the HDD on the PC, to check to make sure the drive itself is not faulty. If possible, I'd also run (from the PC) the WD Diagnostic tools that are available from their website. If all looks good from the PC... try it on the MAC again, with the jumper set to "Cable Select" and see what happens.

best of luck - please repost and let us know how it works out for ya!

-matt-

Moxie said:
Hello,

I have an iMac 500, and the original 40GB hard drive was making a loud hum, so I replaced it. I got the hard drive (40GB WD IDE) surplused out of a PC. I got through the 1st few steps of the install fine, booting off my 10.3.5 CD. But then..

1) I went to disk doctor to reformat and partition the drive. It seemed to be paritioned still for the PC.

2) I tried to erase the larger partition, but it froze during creating partition map, and I restarted. I tried again, this time to erase the drive. No luck, got an error after a while.

3) Tried to boot again off the CD. This time nothing will work, it spins the CD, then I get a white blank screen. I cannot remove the CD, holding down the mouse did not work. If I wait long enough, I will get a flashing question mark/smily face. This then switches just to a folder, and then back again....

4)Will not boot off the HDD or CD. Holding down C does not seem to help. The hard drive does not sound like it is spinning.

Help!!

p.s. checked firmware before install. Already had an older version of panther installed OK before new drive...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.