MacBook Air Mag-safe design flaw / pointless.

Reaction score
Go on, try yanking your magsafe on your macbook air.... It doesn't easily detach. In fact, if you are you rank it straight on parallel with your macbook air, it wont come out no matter how hard you pull as it pushes against the edge of the hatch and the desk...

Design flaw?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
Mine works perfect

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
So you're saying that if you have your magsafe plugged in and you yanked on the cord, it would pull your MBA off the desk before detaching? I guess that's could be an unavoidable drawback of it being so light. You can't have the magsafe so weak that it barely stays plugged in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It doesn't come out easily when you pull it straight, it's designed to come out when pulled from the side, top or bottom.

When's the last time you tripped over a wire and pulled a cord out straight?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
It's worse with the macbook than the mba. With the mba you can never really pull it straight out due to the right angle.

Reaction score
i think that the overall design of the magsafe is flawed in general. they should have made it more squared or a circular connector because in that sense if the cord was yanked or pulled from any angle the pressure of release is still the same. im playing with my friends mbp right now and i can easily see the flaw in the magsafe connector. due to continous horizontal pull over time the connector end where the cord is attached is coming loose and u can see the braided wire starting to expose. it is easy to pop off vertical but because of the rectangular nature of the magsafe tip horizontal pressure is higher than vertical so when it is accidentally yanked out the tension on the angle of the cord is much higher and from what i see most of the time the angle that the cord is accidentally yanked or pulled from is horizontally. also another flaw i see is that the connection between the cord and the tip should have been better reinforced so it keeps the cord from being moved at an extreme angle where it is almost perpendicular to the tip. it kinda sucks for me right now because this adapter cant be replace since this mbp is the first gen one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
No he is right. The magsafe plug for an air is shaped differently with the cable going back toward the rear of the air. Due to the orientation of the magnets and the direction of the cable if you actually tripped on the cable resulting in the exact situation the magsafe is meant to avoid it wuold yank your laptop off the table because the magsafe plug on the air will only detatch easily if pulled out to the side (90 degrees off from the actual direction of the cable)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
It comes out easy enough for me...Have you ever used one on the air?

Anyway, i spent a year ith my old macbook, never ever using the magsafe feature and thinking 'whats the point?'- But then I tripped over it a few months ago, and it just popped straight out, and thought- 'oh, that's the point!'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
We have two macbooks, and both of them have been saved from a skittering impact fate several times by the MagSafe connector.

As far as I can tell, the MBA connector is also going to work similarly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.