HP printer problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion HD + MBP
I have an HP Laserjet 4600dn and a Laserjet 4000 in our office. I just bought iMacs for the office to upgrade. One Laserjet has a Mini-centronics port, the other a standard Centronics port. So I needed some sort of adapter to hook up to the iMacs. I found Centronics/USB cable for the one and had to find a mini-centronics to centronics adapter then use a centronics/USB cable to hook up to the other. Both computers say my printer is offline. Apple Care says it's HPs problem because they haven't come up with the drivers for the older printers yet.

Anyone know of a workaround?

TIA
RD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I think you need to troubleshoot the source of the problem first; i.e., is the problem with the dated printer driver or with the cable connections that you've installed.

You should first check HP's website for the latest printer drivers. Don't assume that what Apple is telling you s correct. A quick search shows that the 4600dn is still being sold, and they have the latest drivers for OS X. Here it is:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...riesId=74301&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=219

Do the same for the 4000 model, and make sure to install them on you computer.

If it still doesn't go on-line, it may be the cables. How long is your cable? I've heard of instances where if the USB cable is too long, the computer will fail to recognize the device.

OP
RezDuane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I checked for the drivers first. The ones I found were quite old. Tomorrow, I'll check the one you sent. That is much newer than the one I found.

Both printers will print if you reboot the computer. It will only print the first file in the queue, then go back to saying the printer is offline. So I don't think it would be the cable.

Thnx!
RD

I think you need to troubleshoot the source of the problem first; i.e., is the problem with the dated printer driver or with the cable connections that you've installed.

You should first check HP's website for the latest printer drivers. Don't assume that what Apple is telling you s correct. A quick search shows that the 4600dn is still being sold, and they have the latest drivers for OS X. Here it is:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...riesId=74301&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=219

If it still doesn't go on-line, it may be the cables. How long is your cable? I've heard of instances where if the USB cable is too long, the computer will fail to recognize the device.

OP
RezDuane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, Great! Got the 4600 working. Still couldn't find a driver for the 4000. Still having some problems on the Windows side but it will, at least, print . . . most of the time.

Tnx
RD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.