Using 10.4 Server with 10.5 Clients?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
Hi,

I have a chance at picking up a copy of OS X Server 10.4 at a really good price. However, I have already migrated my main computer to 10.5. Has anyone had experience with using server 10.4 and having 10.5 clients? Are there major compatibility issues?

All I need really need the server for is Xgrid use/distribution. If there's another way to get xgrid functionality on several macs without buying server, that would be great.

All help is greatly appreciated.

-ST-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I would read up on XGrid functionality first. It's not what most people think it is. Or at least the way jobs are submitted to the grid.

I was using 10.5 client w/ 10.4 server since 10.5 came out. I recently upgraded to 10.5 server. I had no issues with the two OSs. I thought way back when I got 10.4 server that XGrid would be an everyday use thing. It wasn't. At least not for me.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
ok, yeah, i'm seeing the limitations now. Darn. I thought that would be helpful, but, guess not.

Thanks for the info

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.