Crazy issue with WD Black Scorpio

Reaction score
I have a brand new Black Scorpio 750GB drive that I plan to install in my Media Mac Mini. I want to clone the current drive to save myself some configuration and install time (thought i've probably already lost that battle now!).

My first attempt to clone failed, so I zeroed out the disk and verified everything with Disk Utility and Disk Warrior. When I mount the volume, however, I noticed that it shows that 630.5GB of the 750 have been used. Same thing if I go to 'get info' on the drive. Obviously when I open the drive, there is NOTHING on it as I just zeroed it out and it's a new drive with nothing having ever been installed.

I'm assuming that I have a problem with the disk? Maybe I'm simply missing something? Has anyone ever seen this before?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How did you "zero out" the drive? Unless you used Disk Utility to erase and reformat the drive, you may not have gotten rid of the old cloned image. It could still be taking up space. If you did all that and it shows that space being used, send the drive back and get another.

OP
I
Reaction score
How did you "zero out" the drive? Unless you used Disk Utility to erase and reformat the drive, you may not have gotten rid of the old cloned image. It could still be taking up space. If you did all that and it shows that space being used, send the drive back and get another.

Yeah, I used DU to erase the drive writing zeros over the entire volume. I wanted to make sure that it was completely clean before attempting again. So it's likely shot before I even began, huh? Bummer. That's what I was afraid of.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.