Snow leopard screen brightness

Reaction score
Hi all,
Is there any way to reduce the screen brightness on an iMac (2007)?
Before I upgraded to SL, I used "Shades", but it doesn't work in SL.
All ideas gratefully received.

N

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi all,
Is there any way to reduce the screen brightness on an iMac (2007)?
Before I upgraded to SL, I used "Shades", but it doesn't work in SL.
All ideas gratefully received.

N

I'm assuming you can still reduce your iMac's screen brightness via the keyboard or from "System Preferences" with SL?

Apple Menu > System Preferences > Displays

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
I upgraded last night and today had to go into preferences to increase the brightness, which was set to minimum. SL must change the setting.

OP
N
Reaction score
Nick,
I have the screen brightness set to min. in preferences, but it's still too bright for me.

Update: I have just discovered "DarkAdapted".
DarkAdapted

I will see how I get on.
Looks good so far.

Thanks

N

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick,
I have the screen brightness set to min. in preferences, but it's still too bright for me.

I see...you didn't mention that initially. Is there a contrast setting you can also reduce (I don't have an iMac at the moment to check myself)?

Good luck with "Dark Adapted",

- Nick

E

eddy-pizzle

i don't understand why they can't produce imacs to just have a full brightness scale... it absolutely infuriates me. i only ever find it's ok if it's very bright outside, but in the evenings, it blasts through my retinas like a photon ray. i'm using shades but it's not ideal, and used dark adapted too but that was a bit of a hassle to set each time too.

i suppose because apple doesn't like the idea of them not being all bright and shiny 24/7...

we should start a petition!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I think the few of us that have to adjust screen brightness constantly are in the minority.

The built in settings are more than adequate for probably 99% of all users.

I'm with you, although I find the absolute lowest setting only takes me a few minutes to get use to when first turning the machine on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) 3GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 16GB, Sonoma 14.2.1
What I find annoying is that the setting that I use (happens to be minimum brightness) is not saved and next boot the brightness is max again!!! A neighbour has just bought a new 27" iMac and the range of brightness is much greater than on my 24". On his iMac you can turn the brightness down to nearly invisible from the max which is like "Whoa! Where are my shades!" Plus the setting appears to survive a boot.

Icy

Reaction score
Hi Smudger,

I'm new to this forum and I joined to see if anyone else was having the brightness reset issue. I always run my iMac with brightness about as LOW as it can go, but just recently I used the "energy saver settings" to daily auto boot and shut down my Mac.

Just as soon as I did that, I had the same problem you described with the brightness being pumped up full on each new boot.

I have since done a manual reboot and it seems to hold MY PREFERRED setting on a manual reboot. Still to be determined if the "energy saver" boot will over ride this again. Will keep you posted!

Icy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you realize you're responding to a post that's from November 2009? Not likely that you'll get an answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.