Lacie HD & Clean Up > ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro/2.66 Ghz/4GB RAM/320GB HD/NVIDIA GeForce 9400 and NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
hello everyone... I am looking for a firewire HD to use with my Macbook to store all my Ableton Live files and clips for performance. I have never used or purchased an external HD so this wil be my first. The Lacie HD's were recommended and I will be using it with my Macbook, 2 MIDI controllers, and a M-Audio FW410 as my audio interface. I have deleted most of the programs on my Macbook because I am dedicating my Macbook for Ableton Live performance and DJing. I am not too familiar with OSX however is there a feature to clean the HD or defrag like with Windows. I know some maintance on Windows doesn't have to be done on OSX. I just want to perform some maintenance (like I do with Windows) for max performance...;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
Based upon what I've read in several other posts, defragging your HD is not necessary with OS X - well, not on your part. It does this automatically each time you install/remove an application, and maybe someone else can mention other times when OS X will do this.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
as long as the HD is formatted HFS+ you should be ok.

if it's FAT32 you may need expensive software to handle that sort of task. and if it's NTFS, reformat it. ;)

for some more detail, check this recent thread i had on a similar issue:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61418

OP
digitalfish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro/2.66 Ghz/4GB RAM/320GB HD/NVIDIA GeForce 9400 and NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
yeah...I actually just bought a couple of books on MAC OS X and started readin about this.....thanks..

MACS RULE! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.