G3 Clamshell wont start

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I have an iBook G3 that wont start. Its worked fine for over a year and now it wont start. The battery never lasted more than 20 min and is all but useless now. I got another one in the summer and it worked for about an hour or so and now it too barely works. I understand this is a 9 year old computer, but it still works(ed) well for email, web browsing and chatting. It was also my only computer with classic.

Ok back to the problem, I was thinking that the suspects for it not working are the power cord or the power converter inside the iBook. Anyone know how to test this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam
Does the charge indicator light up when you have the charger plugged in, if not I would check the charger output voltage with a multimeter it should be 14.4vdc. This can be a pain because the shield is in the way but it can be done with a steady hand and someone to hold the plug. If your batteries are dead and your charger is dead it won't turn on. Your DC input board is a pain to get to but is replaceable and just plugged into the logic board separately. I would really suspect the charger not working, especially if you are using the original "YO-YO" charger. The web site "iFixit" has a step by step dis assembly section for the CLAMSHELL iBook plus some tested use parts available I believe.

Rick

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I'll start by trying to get my hands on a multimeter and testing the voltage. Should I be looking for any resistance or amperage?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.