MBP HD data recovery

Reaction score
How do I retrieve files/folders from MBP HD to iMac?

Hi all,

Had tea spilled into my MBP from behind. Despite my best efforts to dry and taking it immediately into the Apple store for an "emergency" ingression, I was given it back with the condolences of the store staff...

Basically Hard drive intact, battery intact, DVD drive intact, but what matters most, the Motherboard, has clear sign of coming into contact with the liquid.

I extracted the HD from the MBP and using a Woxter i-Case 25 have connected the MBP HD to my iMac by USB.

Problem #1
Obviously, cannot read the HD in the way it was read by the MBP.
Specifically I want to get to /Users/[username]/Pictures/iPhoto Library as I need to make sure the files are intact and transfer them over to the iMac.

However, connecting the MBP HD to the iMac and opening the Finder from iMac, I can get to /Users/[username]/ but it appears empty!

Is there a trick that I am missing to being able to view the data/file/folders on the profile that was active in the MBP?

I think I had activated, but subsequently de-activated, the File Vault a while back. Is that perhaps why I cannot see through it? How do I get it to allow me the security questions if that is still active?

By the way, there is a 'Deleted Users' folder with an old profile I had created on the MBP, which I can access completely, but it is old and not the one I need access to. I think that profile was deleted/replaced before I switched on the file vault function.

Problem #2

How do I salvage the most out of the MBP? It is the latest model, purchased July 2010. Everyone says to throw it away, but I think that is simply stupid, as it has perfectly good components and it would be irresponsible not to see thoroughly what can be done with it. Could it be recovered?

When put together, pushing the start button, lights up the power LED, but then produces a rather loud 'beep' sound from the left rear side, and the screen does not come on. To stop the sound I have to hold the power button down firm for a while.

At any rate, does anyone know if there is an easy solution to any of the above?

Best

Georgatos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
1 topic should be fine for this question.

So you can't just explore the drive and pull the info you need off of it?
Check this topic: Apple - Support - Discussions - Accessing FileVault encrypted data from ...

Or you can just swap hard drives, and put the iMac in the external, and the MBP in the iMac then copy the data off the MBP HD into the external on the iMac. Might be more trouble tho.

As for part 2,
Put it on eBay or Craigslist. If some of the other components can be saved, these would be your best option

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.