Strange PowerBook G4 Behaviour!

Reaction score
Dear all/ anyone who can possibly help!

A few days ago my mac started playing up, selected programs would appear in the dock for a few seconds then dissapear. I first noticed this happening with the System Prefrences application. I ignored it for a day or two until I noticed it happening to more and more applications. Now many programs, from msn, iTunes to any program I try and download to fix the problem.

Another symptom is that when I ask it to restart or shut down, the screen goes blue, loads for a few seconds then just reloads my desktop. I've trawled google and the forum to try and find something that will help that I can understand, but to no avail.

When i open the application packages and run the applications from the terminal I get one of two typical replies:

Last login: Mon May 28 23:30:56 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes; exScotts-Mac:~ jomacdonald$ /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes; exit
dyld: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes can't open library: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap
logout
[Process completed]

or:

Last login: Mon May 28 23:31:18 on ttyp2
Welcome to Darwin!
/Applications/System\ Preferences.app/Contents/MacScotts-Mac:~ jomacdonald$ /Appystem\ Preferences; exitences.app/Contents/MacOS/S
Bus error
logout
[Process completed]

I've done as many of the reccomended "Troubleshooting" tips I can in the circumstances, but it has made no difference. The only thing worth noting is that in recent days I've started streaming much more video content from the internet and downloading quite alot of it (impatience over Ugly Betty episodes mostly) , could this have anything to do with the problem?

Thanks,

Scott

OP
M
Reaction score
Just about to try and erase the hard-drive and reinstall Mac OS X :( .

Shall post how it goes...

Scott

M

MacHeadCase

Could you post in detail the troubleshooting you have tried so far, please? So we don't keep suggesting things that haven't been successful.

And welcome to Mac-Forums, macfactors/Scott.

Also here are two questions I would like you to reply to as well as what I asked you above:

1. do you leave on your Mac so it can perform its built-in maintenance tasks? And please post your OS version (ex.: not OS X Tiger but 10.4.6 or whatever it is you are on at the moment)

2. when did this started happening? Had you just installed some new software, changed any config to your system?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi,

I've already:

• Deleted the cache
  • Reset the Ram using the startup commands
  • Deleted lots of unused files so I now have over 50gb of space

I turn my mac off every evening at about 11ish and restart it at 5 the next day routinely pretty much most days. I tried to install macjanitor and another program to run them for me, but due to the problem, they won't open.

I'm running what i believe to be OS 1.3, though it won't let me load up the program that tells me, so this is only as far as I can remember, it's the one before Tiger.
The problem has only just started, and as far as I know was not particularly prompted by me doing anything. I haven't yet wiped the hard drive as I'm currently moving all my files to external memory.

Does this help?

Scott

OP
M
Reaction score
Makes no difference, on the last reboot (having to hold down button due to it not shutting down) I lost the internet, luckily after a restart it's working now.

Also, i put in a blank CD to copy some files off, but now it fails to recognise it and won't eject it! Any help? :S.

Scott

M

MacHeadCase

It can't find the iTunes library... Did you try manually to change your user account's name?

Other than that, I really don't know what else you could but to reinstall everything.

Maybe someone else has an idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.