• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 08 not importing from video camera tho it has previously without prob.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac 3.06GHZ C2D 4GBRam 1TbHDD OSX10.7/15"MBP 2.2GHZ 4GBRam 750HDD OSX10.7 /iPad3 /iPhone5
Hi All.

I am a fairly new mac user and have only played with iMovie a few times. I never remember how to get my files into the program but I've also never had a problem doing it. This time is different. From the same video camera (Sony Handycam DCR-SR60) I plug it in, try to import from it- all files are grey & not accessible. So I created a folder on my desktop and downloaded all the files into it, then try to access them from iMovie...also all files are greyed out.

The files in both cases (the times they imported just fine and now) are MPG files. Why would they work before and not now? By the way I have never done the iLife update... I'd heard someone say there was a problem with it and not to do it. Could this be my problem? Does anyone here recommend I do it?

ANY suggestions for correcting the problem?
Thanks a bunch!
~Shine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.