New Mac user with Credit card problems

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I am a new to Mac and have just bought my first 20" Imac.

I have been usingPCs for years so know a little about computing.

One of the first things i Did with the new machine was upgrade to Snow Leapord. The next job was to book some uk flights with Easyjet.

Browsing easyjet was no different from my PC experiences but when I found my flights and tried to pay for them I got a message back saying card declined. Shouldn't be an account problem but I tried all my other cards Debit and Credit and they were all refused.

Just to be sure I went back to my laptop (PC) and again tried to book Easyjet. Worked first time with my original card no problems at all.

It now makes me wonder why I couldn't use my cards with my Mac. Is it a plug-in problem, or a browser issue or some hidden setting that I'm just not aware of. As I say I am a Mac Virgin and don't know my way round them. Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BJR

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi Folks

I am a new to Mac and have just bought my first 20" Imac.

I have been usingPCs for years so know a little about computing.

One of the first things i Did with the new machine was upgrade to Snow Leapord. The next job was to book some uk flights with Easyjet.

Browsing easyjet was no different from my PC experiences but when I found my flights and tried to pay for them I got a message back saying card declined. Shouldn't be an account problem but I tried all my other cards Debit and Credit and they were all refused.

Just to be sure I went back to my laptop (PC) and again tried to book Easyjet. Worked first time with my original card no problems at all.

It now makes me wonder why I couldn't use my cards with my Mac. Is it a plug-in problem, or a browser issue or some hidden setting that I'm just not aware of. As I say I am a Mac Virgin and don't know my way round them. Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BJR

I'm not sure what website that you are having the trouble with your credit card. But occasionally you may come across a website that may not be fully compatible with Safari...so that could be the reason why your credit card works fine with your Windows PC...but not the Mac.

HTH,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's also possible that the site in question was having difficulties at the time.

But, with many people coding for websites today not using open standards, it's always a good idea to have at least 2-3 browsers on your machine. (I include windows in this as I have not used IE in at least 5 years unless all else fails.)

Download Firefox and give that a try - almost everyone is trying to make sure their sites work with that one besides IE at a minimum. You might want to try Opera also - my personal favorite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I've had this problem with safari in the past with certain sites, but when I used firefox, and in the view/page style in the menu chose basic style, I had no problem finalising the transaction.

I hope this was helpful :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks Folks

Perhaps my Web browser is the problem. I usually use Firefox on my PC so am quite happy to change back to what I know.

Just one problem. When my wife finds out you have cured this issue she will be spending a fortune on the Net. Thanks for Nothing! lol

Cheers again

BJR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 INCH MBP Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200 RPM HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M-9600M GT
Is there an ie for Mac?

I haven't been able to find it, I did have ie for mac on my old 7500 ppc but I found that years ago.

I would love to not have to open vmware (win xp) just to complete some of those web forms that only work in ie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
IE for Mac is probably around but the latest version is years old and no longer supported so I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 INCH MBP Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200 RPM HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M-9600M GT
Thanks, I guess i can load xp for those few times that ie is a must :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just one problem. When my wife finds out you have cured this issue she will be spending a fortune on the Net. Thanks for Nothing! lol

Cheers again

BJR

Make a separate user account for the wife and make sure Firefox can't be run in her account! :D

Reaction score
Thanks, I guess i can load xp for those few times that ie is a must :)

You can make FireFox spoof the website into thinking you are running ie. Maybe Opera and Safari can also. I did it long ago when some sites that I had to get to would not let you in with an "unsupported browser'.

I won't do it now, since I consider a website that is specifically coded to one proprietary browser to be one that needs to get GEDs for their programmers.

Konan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.