I'm not sure what is wrong with my 16 gig ipod classic.

Reaction score
It keeps on saying that it is corrupted or it can't be read an I've restored it several times. I've also erased all of the data in disk utility with the 7-pass option and I'm still having the same problem.

I thought maybe itunes is the problem and some of my files were corrupted since it sometimes says my ipod "can't read" some of my files. So I recreated my library per the link below and nothing has changed.

support.apple.com/kb/ht1451‎

The strange thing is that when I restart my computer right after I restore my ipod, I am able to sync my ipod only if I use some of the playlists.

So do you think it just can't hold the capacity that it used to? I have about 8,000 songs I used to be able to sync and now it's currently at 1,000. Which I know is nothing to sneeze at... but still, i'd love to fit everything again.

Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The hard drive in your iPod classic may be on its way out. There's really no way to check it as you would the hard drive in your Mac, however, the ifixit site has instructions for replacing it. Make sure you have everything on the iPod backed up elsewhere.

iFixit: The free repair manual

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thank you. How much do these hard drives go for?

I'm not sure but the last time I checked (two years ago) they were: 1. Difficult to find and 2. Expensive!

The ifixit site has good ideas though on how you can substitute for the hard drive. Take a look there first. Also, you might want to think about putting a larger drive in your classic instead of the original 16 GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.