iPad and wireless keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2 16gb wifi, iMac 21.5 3.2GHz i3 5670, 2008 MacBook, iPhone 3Gs
Ok, so I don't know where this question officially belongs, but here we go... I have an iPad 2 and very soon I'll be getting my iMac delivered. I was wondering if it is possible to set up my wireless keyboard that will come with my iMac to work with my iPad as well. Well, I know it will work with my iPad but I mean is there a way to set up the keyboard so it will always work with either device without having to set it up for that particular device every time I want to switch which device I'm using it with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I doubt it or at least I never heard of it about the only thing that I am aware of that uses Bluetooth pairing with multiple devices are headsets.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I own the Apple Small BT keyboard that they ship with the new iMacs. I have it paired with both my iMac and iPad. Works great but.....

if you have both the ipad and imac in the same house and both have BT turned on, one will get the keyboard and the other will not. I just turn off BT on the iMac and it's fine.

Also when I leave the house and take it with me, it works great as there is no other BT device in range.

So, yes, it works.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting that Dennis. It just so happens I have a spare small BT keyboard that came with our new iMac. I also had a wired aluminum keyboard and am using that instead. But it's good to know that I can use the BT keyboard with an iPad.

C

chas_m

Me too. The BT keyboard will pair with both devices no problem, but not at the same time. The bluetooth on A has to be disconnected before the it can pair with the bluetooth on B.

After initially resisting because I thought I would miss the number pad too much, I find that I don't at all, so the "investment" of the BT keyboard has been a great tool for both my laptop and my iPad (and I think you can even pair it with an iPhone 4. Oooh, an experiment to try later!).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, I don't own an iPhone 4 or I would try it, but I have heard the same thing. It's supposed to pair and work.

I am still with the old iPhone 3G. :D

C

chas_m

I'm pleased to confirm that the aluminum Apple Bluetooth keyboard does in fact work with the iPhone 4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.