Manualy mount USB drive.

I

i86i11

here is my problem.

If I plug in my USB stick drive and then boot my iMac it won't recognize the Drive. If I unplug it and plug it back in it still doesn't recognize it.

Is there any way I can force OS X to rescan the USB bus and find the device?

I hope there is...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
open disk utility in applications, the usb drive should be in the list on the left if it is connected, select it, and click mount.

OP
I

i86i11

Macman said:
open disk utility in applications, the usb drive should be in the list on the left if it is connected, select it, and click mount.

nope. Just my hard drive. Even in System Profile Under USB it's not listed. But the drive is plugged in and the ready light is on.

funny thing here though, I unplugged it switched it with my USB printer, low and behold it sees it now, but now it doesn't see my printer.... ugh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what format is it? it may not be a mac compatible format. if you can, use a pc to format as fat32, then take it to a mac and reformat as mac os extended.

OP
I

i86i11

Macman said:
what format is it? it may not be a mac compatible format. if you can, use a pc to format as fat32, then take it to a mac and reformat as mac os extended.

I'm pretty sure it's FAT, I've been using it for a while to transport stuff between my work(PC) and home(MAC) with no problem, but I usually plug it in once my iMac is already on.

This time though I plugged it it before I turned the Mac on and it had problems recognizing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have you tried restarting and connecting it after its done starting up? maybe the drivers just hadnt loaded yet.

OP
B

Badger

You switched the drive and the printer, now the drive mounts but the printer is missing... sounds like the USB port is dead. Do you have any other USB devices you could try in that port to confirm it?

Reaction score
Manually mount usb drive

Thanks Macman,
I was having the same trouble as the original poster, and didn't fully understand your answer, as i am pretty much a beginner too. To see my plugged in USB drive, I;
1. Went into the disc utility - Applications -> Utilities -> Disc Utility
2. Saw that the drive i wanted was represented in the list on the left hand side, with the actual drive greyed out - but i couldn't find a 'mount' button anywhere.
3. I right clicked on the greyed out drive, and selected 'mount'

Now my drive is available, thanks to Macman, and a couple of adjustments to his instructions. I'd been trying for ages to manually mount drives, and the only way i knew in the past was to restart my mac.

Hopefully this is helpful to another beginner like myself who has been trying to resolve this issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

We're certainly happy to see that you were helped by a 10 year old post! Stay tuned to our forums for more "modern" answers to problems. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.