Deleted master password now it wont let me sign

Reaction score
So i deleted my master password and when i reset the computer it asks for the password. Ive typed in passwords and it wont register them. Then it wants me to create a new one and that wont work. It says something about filevault too but i dont remember my filevault password. So i created a new admin account and i deleted login from the keychain and when i restart my computer i get a file with a question mark i think. Im trying to get on my old admin account too if that makes a difference. I appreciate the help :)

OP
R
Reaction score
What it says after attempting to get the password is type the master password to reset the users password to unlock filevault

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Have a little patience. It will probably take more than a few minutes or an hour for someone to see your post and find an answer for you, especially with such a complex problem.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Personally, as messed up as you have that machine right now (and admittedly without full comprehension of the fragmented details you've provided), I would suggest:

Option 1:
Insert your OS X install disc, wipe the drive, format and do a clean install, writing off all data you have on that drive.

Option 2:
Purchase a new drive - use it to replace your existing drive - install OS X on it.
Purchase an external case to put your old internal drive in. Connect it up to your Mac and see if you can salvage anything. If you used File Vault to encrypt your home folder, the odds of that without the password are slim and none.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.