Totally new mac user

Reaction score
Alright so I recently received a powerbook g4 i bought it off a dude for about 60 bucks. But I know nothing else about it. It's running on OS X 10.5.8 or something like that, but it wont let me update to any newer versions. So if you guys could help me out that would be great! Also no big deal here but it doesnt have garageband on it and when I try to download it, it says I need to update my software or whatever... I'd kind of like to mess around with garage band and so if any of you know where I could get that at it would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
10.5.8 is the latest & last OS version that will run on that computer. To update to a newer version of the Mac OS...you need a Mac with an Intel processor (which Powerbook G4's do not have).

If you want Garageband...you need to buy and older version of iLife...since the current version of iLife requires an Intel CPU & a more recent version of the OS (10.6.3).

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You're welcome...enjoy that Powerbook...$60 was pretty good price for it!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.