External Hard Drive Issue

Reaction score
So I have an external hard drive that I have been using for back ups for several months, but now I get an error message that says, "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". I looked up other peoples issues with this, and they have used things like disk warrior to fix it, but I am not very interested in saving what's on the hard drive anyways. I just want to clear out the hard drive and start fresh. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB
Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility > Click on your External Hard Drive > Erase Tab > Mac OS Extended (Journaled) > Erase Button and then after it's erased if you need to format it to the mac then go a head and do that. If you don't know how just google it, you will find the answer in the first 1-3 links no doubt.

PM me if you have any questions, I'm more then happy to help.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Here's the thing, I can't even get Disk Utility to open, let alone do anything to the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Intel 2.4 GHz, 2 GB, 160 GB Hitachi HTS542516K9SA00 Media, OS X 10.6, Win 7 Via BootCamp
I tried erasing before with Mac Os Extended (Journaled). But the unmounting disk procedure last for so long so i had to quit it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.