Macbook Pro Ram query

Reaction score
First off I have a late 2007 macbook pro with a 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo processor.

I currently have 2x2gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram.

I read that my model can actually use 6gb 1x4&2 ram but will lose dual channel support.

source: A Guide to MacBook RAM Upgrades

1. Is this in fact true? Has anyone successfully done this?

2. That same article said that I can use 800 mhz ram instead of 667. Will that make a difference?

3. I can't easily find single sticks of ram. Can I plug in 8gb 2x4 and just have the computer use 6?

I would appreciate any help anyone can render in this area. Thanks!!!

Reaction score
I did this for a 2009 MBP - it worked fine.

I would NOT advise using memory rated higher (800) than your machine requires (667). Doing so has no benefit to you.

I was able to put in a 4GB and a 2GB module, no issues. Not entirely sure 2x4 would work for you - the second one may not work at all and you'd be stuck with 4.

Your best bet is to call Ramjet or OWC and take your advice from them.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks so much! I found a great deal on on of the sites you mentioned. I also remember reading something that suggested that my ram sticks match in therms of brand and such. Is that really necessary?

Reaction score
It's not strictly necessary. The main reason to do so is to reduce differences in tolerances that, in theory, could cause issues. But it's a lot like having tires from different manufacturers on your car. It's a nice idea - but as long as they are the same size, it's not a big deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.