Advice for G4 CPU upgrade?

Reaction score
Hi
I'm looking to upgarde my G4 digital Audio processor. There seems to be 4 or 5 companies out there vying for this kind business. Any advice would be much appreciated:

I'm particularly concerned about compatibility issues, either with software or third party hardware - (just changed my CD drive)?

I was also wondering about noise regarding cooling fans, etc. can I expect a quieter machine if I upgrade, or not? Would a single processor be quieter than a dual?

Finally, can anybody recommend a particular make, that's easy to install, etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I did this some years ago on my G4 Sawtooth box. I went with PowerLogix and had zero problems. In fact, my sister in law is currently running that 1.25Ghz processor on her G4 Mac (I gave it to her when I got my Quad).

Gav

Reaction score
I understand that you might have had your G4 for many a year now and may want to keep it, but G4 Upgrades are expensive, get a second hand G5 instead :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for comments lads,:Cool:

I've been looking at Powerlogix.

If I was going to get another Mac it was going to be a laptop because I'm a photographer, and keep my G4 to run my scanner and printer. But am I right in assuming that even the latest powerbooks still use G4 CPUs because the G5s emit so much heat? I must admit I could be wrong, I haven't looked into this.

Can you recommend a G5 to get 2nd hand?

Paul

Reaction score
Mac laptops switched from PowerPC chips to Intel chips in January 2006, when the PowerBook name was dropped in favour of MacBook and MacBook Pro.

Check out apple.com.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.