New iMac

Reaction score
I have to ask this question. I am days away from getting my new iMac (just waiting for my taxes to hit my account). How did you guys deal with the anticipation. It's killing me, I've been a PC user for over 20 years and I have never wanted a computer this badly before. While posting this I also am curious how many of you use an additional monitor with your iMac, and which one is it? I am looking at a Samsung 226BW.

Reaction score
Im in the same boat as you. However Im going to purchase a macbook for my wife first, and then when we get the economy stimulus check I plan on getting my iMac. I can hardly wait. Ive never been this excited over getting a new computer. Maybe because in the past I only got a PC. The straw that broke the camels back was this past 2 weeks where I had 34 viruses on my pc, and thats with avg, and threatfire, along with tons of spyware. Im sick of having to deal with that. My wife is anxious about the switch as well.

Although I havent given much thought to adding an additional monitor to my iMac, It is possible. I have 3 crts sitting around that I could put to good use. A flat screen would be nice, but Im not gonna fork out the cash when I have these monitors with no use on them sitting around..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I dealt with it by learning up on Macs, reading mac 101 on apples site, watching the commercials, looking up pics and all that junk... although that made me more excited and definitely built up the anticipation it made it much easier to use and enjoy when i got it =].

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 20", 320 GB HDD, 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram
I dealt with it by learning up on Macs, reading mac 101 on apples site, watching the commercials, looking up pics and all that junk... although that made me more excited and definitely built up the anticipation it made it much easier to use and enjoy when i got it =].

Yeah, me too! The Mac sites have become my little haven as I sit on my beastly, loud, slow, ugly broken Dell laptop knowing in a few days I'll have a shiny, sexual iMac! I've taken to staring at the space where it's gonna be and picturing it lol!

OP
V
Reaction score
I don't stare into space but I did rearrange my computer room and am about to get rid of a bunch of PC junk. What has made me switch is virus and the fact that just every other day there is some sort of security update that slows my machine down even more. I would use one of my CRT monitors but that would look gross. I will have enough left over in my return to get the second monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac 2011, 12 GB RAM
Mac anticipation.

I swear, each of your messages could've been written by me. I'm going through the same things. I ordered mine (20" refurb Alum iMac) yesterday and it'll be here on the 8th. I was waiting for the tax return to hit the bank account and thought I may have had to wait for the stimulus check (thank god it was possible with this refund). I've scoured all Mac sites and watched more videos than I can count. I've looked at so many "Must have app" threads to prepare for its arrival. This will be my first Mac! I can't wait!

Scott

Reaction score
It is hard isn't it! I spent a lot of time at the local Apple store - hours. But it will be well worth the wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AlumiMac24/MBP
While posting this I also am curious how many of you use an additional monitor with your iMac, and which one is it? I am looking at a Samsung 226BW.

I use an Apple Cinema display with my iMac... the display also plays tandem to my MBP, when need be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
I went out and purchase a reference for Mac OS X, and started reading it. I also went back to the store and started getting familiar with the feel of the OS. It was time well worth spending.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I spent the waiting period by spending hours on this site devouring information. I tried to anticipate questions with the setup and the applications that I had in mind for my iMac. This forum has been a tremendous resource.

I handed down my 3 year old Velocity Micro PC to the kids, but kept the 20" Eizo monitor for photo editing. It makes for a nice match with the 24" iMac.

On a side note, I spent this Saturday morning at my father's and sister's homes installing antivirus programs, and otherwise doing some fine-tuning of their machines. The long startup time, and the slow response, not to mention the hours that I wasted tending to their machines, reminded me just how painful it was with the Windows PCs. My plan now is to eradicate our own household of the 3 PCs over the next three years, replacing them with each new generation of Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
I did the same, I found the Switch 101 tutorial very good and almost felt like I knew how to get around the iMac before I even got mine. I googled and read up on applications/programs that would replace my windows programs. I went to the department stores and had a play on the iMac. Read the threads here and talked to other Mac users to get more understanding. I actually spent 6months researching Mac info etc. My iMac arrived the day after I ordered it which was a bonus.

Hope you enjoy your Mac when it arrives.

OP
V
Reaction score
Unfortunately I will always keep a PC around as my girlfriend hasn't yet been bitten by the Mac bug. I hope to change this soon afer she sees my new iMac.. Plus I do maintain about 10 PCs for various family members. I am going to turn my current PC into a file server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
I just bought my 24" imac about 2 weeks ago. I was freaking out the day i had saved up enough to buy this baby. The best thing that you can do is research and watch a lot of the tutorials. It helps if you do a lot of the research before you buy your mac, That way you know exactly what you want when you go to buy your mac

Reaction score
I just got my iMac 2 weeks ago and before I bought it I labored over it for about a year. I constantly (once a week) found myself in the Apple Store looking at them, playing with them... reading about them online. Finally I just said "Honey, I'm buying a new computer." She said no, I did it anyway and now I'm happy... single, but happy. Just kidding, she didn't leave me... she's been pretty cool about it.

All I can say is that it was everything I hoped it would be and even more.

Reaction score
I have to ask this question. I am days away from getting my new iMac (just waiting for my taxes to hit my account). How did you guys deal with the anticipation. It's killing me, I've been a PC user for over 20 years and I have never wanted a computer this badly before. While posting this I also am curious how many of you use an additional monitor with your iMac, and which one is it? I am looking at a Samsung 226BW.

Why didn't you buy the iMac with a credit card and use the tax return to pay off the credit card?

OP
V
Reaction score
Since my divorce I don't have any credit cards. I pay cash for everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 2GB ram, ATI HD2600 PRO, 320gb HDD
I went and got mine at best buy so no wait, but up until that point I had my dirt bike in the paper for 6 weeks awaiting the cash for the iMac.
As for monitor, I have the 20" 2.4ghz iMac and I run a 22" Dell ultrasharp as main display and my imac screen as secondary.

OP
V
Reaction score
Fortunately for me there is an Apple store about 15 minutes away. They have them in stock. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
I just got my iMac 2 weeks ago and before I bought it I labored over it for about a year. I constantly (once a week) found myself in the Apple Store looking at them, playing with them... reading about them online. Finally I just said "Honey, I'm buying a new computer." She said no, I did it anyway and now I'm happy... single, but happy. Just kidding, she didn't leave me... she's been pretty cool about it.

All I can say is that it was everything I hoped it would be and even more.

Same for me. I was so excited and was really learning how to use it before i actually owned mine. I felt kinda ahead

Reaction score
This is the boat I am in now. I won't be buying a Mac for a month or two probably so Im just absorbing as much as possible. My girlfriend couldn't wait and got herself a MacBook last month so I have been playing on that when I can pry it from her.

I want an iMac and a MacBook Pro. I have heard that the MacBook Pro may be getting an update soon so my first Mac may be the iMac.

Until then I will just keep reading, learning, and teasing myself by looking at the ongoing "Post your desktop" thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.