Safe to use on Lap?

Reaction score
I'm wondering if its safe to use a macbook just resting it on your lap. I like to sit down on my couch and sit the macbook on my lap and use it like that. Is it safe to do this? Does anyone else use it on their laps or should I only use it on a flat surface so it doesnt tilt at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I use my macbook pro on my lap all the time, when it gets too hot i put it on the ground and let it cool off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Yep, mines on my lap now. It does get hot and it can hurt your leg a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
Me to, I use it on my lap all the time, it does get warm but no problem I find

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
As with others, I use mine on my lap. It gets warm, but not unpleasant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It really should not be used in direct contact with your lap. It isn't a 'laptop' computer, and contrary to popular belief (and use) it is not intended to be used on your lap. Many manufacturers have seen issues with people burning themselves using portable computers in such a manner, hence the the shift of name to 'notebook' computer.
Apple advises against this as well
Get a lapdesk or something similar if you choose to use the computer away from a table or desk.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
While I agree with DB, I too use mine on my laptop most of the time - but then, it's usually when I'm doing light surfing, reading email, etc. When you start to strain the machine and it gets warm, I highly recommend a lap desk or moving it to a smooth, flat surface to allow the air to circulate beneath the machine - particularly with the MBP where the case is used at least partially as a heatsink.

As far as whether it will harm the machine - I would say that excessive heat is not good for components like the hard drive and could certainly effect longevity. So, if you feel the machine warm up to where it's even remotely uncomfortable, move it to a flat surface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I find that when I use my PB on my lap it gets way too hot.. and as DB pointed out its not good for the computer.. There has been times I have used it on my lap and acually burned my legs.. I use a lapdesk now and it seems to work great..

http://www.lapdesk.com/

the three pictures on the far right, I use the third one.. works great and only set me bac $30 at my local microcenter.

Reaction score
I used mine on my lap and it does not bother me. THe heat is only about 98 degrees max. I only put it on a desk or level surface when using the disk drive. otherwise it makes a real nasty sound when if I move.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I am on a table now like I normally am, but once in a while I will use it on my lap, but not for long periods of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I am on a table now like I normally am, ...
I was just at another forum for role playing games, reading a thread, "Creepiest Person You've Gamed With". Your opening words should earn you the Surrealistic Opening Statement of the Day Award. Congratulations. I think. ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
I use it on my lap sometimes, when there's no place to charge and I use it on battery. But sometimes it gets hot and it warms my thighs, and makes it sweat. I don't think sweat is good for the MacBook. :flower:

Sometimes I leave it on its case (Crumpler "The School Hymn") and place it on my lap, but when it takes long I sweat and the bottom of the case gets slippery. There's a line of sweat that develops. Yuck.

Bottomline: You can use it on your lap if you prefer, but make sure it's not that long. If you plan on using it for a long period of time on your lap, get a lap desk. It's better than burning your lap. Or making sweat cling to your notebook. ;)

Reaction score
I only use mine on my lap. If you aren't smart enough to remove it if it's melting the flesh on your legs, you shouldn't be swimming in the deep end of the gene pool. :biohazard

I usually situate my legs at the corners of the MacBook. The whole center section is open to the air underneath. It actually gets more airflow than it would if it was sitting on a desk. I've never even felt uncomfortable with the warmth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
It seems that most of us do use it on our laps, its just a case of being sensible and if you are going to use it for a long time then a table is best but I find up to 1 hour is no prob

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
You jerks with your nice laptops.

I use mine on my lap, but I find I have to pick it up every now and then and let it cool down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
including my iBook G3? (Which I'm not allowed to use because it isnt paid off yet, so i have to use a crappy windows laptop running at a blazing fast 233 MHz with an astonishing 160 MB of RAM, and a ginormous 4.2 GB HDD?);)

I'm messing with ya.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.