Storage Recommendations

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm new to this forum and could use any recommendations/solutions for back-up.

We have a MBP, MBA and an iMac, along with an iPad. We're looking for some sort of wireless server (maybe 3 tb) that we could partition in such a way that we could each back-up to it (bootable clone) and maybe have a place to put shared media. Does anyone have a suggestion for such a device/devices? How do you handle the need for bootable-back-up and sharing?

Thanks and feel free to assume I'm a noobie if explaining something.

Toddo

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you looked into purchasing a Time Capsule? Apple just (2 weeks ago) released their new Airport Time Capsule. You can take a look at it here.

As far as having a bootable backup, the best solution may be to use cloning software and an external hard drive. Take a look at Carbon Copy Cloner, highly recommended as it will also clone the recovery partition.

OP
T
Reaction score
This looks good. I already use CCC. Can I partition the Time Capsule?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't see why not, but wait a while for some more answers on this. The TC should respond the same way as any other hard drive except that it's also wireless.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have not tried partitioning my TC, nor found a reason to.

I keep the TM backup to 3 Macs plus addtional data for one of my Win machines - all in a single partition.
My TC is the first gen - so going on 5+ yrs old now.
The first gen by all accounts on the web should have died 3.5 yrs ago.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My TC is the first gen - so going on 5+ yrs old now.
The first gen by all accounts on the web should have died 3.5 yrs ago.

Sounds like you got your money's worth out of this one!:)

Of course for what the TC's cost...they really should last a long time!!!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.