Need More Space!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2009 | iPhone (Verizon)
So I've been looking into the idea of possibly upgrading my hard drive to a more spacious one. I own the MacbookPro 15" Early 2009 model with the removable hard drive and battery.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.41f2
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I currently have installed a 320gb HD that came with the computer when I bought it, and I want something around a 500 or 750. I know there are many to choose from, but what I don't know is which ones are problem-free with macbook pros. If anybody knows of some good ones that have no problem operating with mac's, I am all ears. I'll even consider a terabyte!

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Getting/choosing a larger hard drive is really not that bad. Just go to these guys...and pretty much anything they sell will be fine.:):

OWC

I would stick with one of the 9.5mm height drives (up to 750 gigs)...the 1.0 terabyte drives are 12.5 mm high...and may be a tight fit on some Mac laptops.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2009 | iPhone (Verizon)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Awesome! So something like this would be fine?
Hitachi 0A72335 500GB 2.5" Travelstar 7K500 7200RPM... in stock at OWC

and do I need the casing package or just order the hard drive as is?

Thank you!!

You don't need the casing package unless you want to use the original HDD as an external HDD.

Edit: and I forgot to ask, I was on this page browsing around, MacBook, MacBook Pro, and i was wondering what the max amount of memory my computer can utilize. I know it can take up to 8 but will it actually use all 8?

Have fun reading.

Reaction score
...i was wondering what the max amount of memory my computer can utilize. I know it can take up to 8 but will it actually use all 8?

The new Macbook Pros can use the new 16gig RAM from OWC. They cost over $1500, though, at present. Still, I'm interested when the price comes down so that I can run more than just one server in a Virtual Machine.

Whether or not you need 8 depends on what you do with your Mac. I run servers in VMs, so I need it, but you do not need 8gig in order to perform 99% of the work that most people do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.