Lightning bolt symbol

Reaction score
I recently had my iMac system updated to Lion 10.7.3. After bringing my computer back home and turning it on, I was unable to mount any USB sticks and all the sound was completely gone and unable to turn on. I tried to restart the computer and was greeted by a big circle with a lightning bolt through it. Has anyone seem this symbol before or know anything about it. I shut the computer down and unplugged it for 5 minutes and then restarted and the problems were gone. But I am worried about the lightning bolt symbols that appear. Does anyone have any answers.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When you say that you had your iMac updated, I think you're implying that you didn't do it yourself.

Can you tell us a little more about who did it and what method was used?

OP
D
Reaction score
My hard drive crashed, my iMac was only 4 months old but the hard drive failed, so Apple put in a new hard drive and the operating system is now Lion 10.7.3.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My hard drive crashed, my iMac was only 4 months old but the hard drive failed, so Apple put in a new hard drive and the operating system is now Lion 10.7.3.

I'd pack it up and haul it into the Apple Store. Clearly they didn't use the right distribution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.