Mac not booting after new graphics card instal (Powermac G4)

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just installed a new graphics card into my powermac G4 agp slot (Nvidia GF 6200 256MB DDR2 AGP Graphics Card came from another working powermac)

When i then turned the mac on it made the bong noise and started booting into osx and then went to a page saying please restart mac. Everytime it boots it brings up this messsage.

So i took the card out and tried putting in the old card to try that. same thing happened.

So i reverted back to the new card and now the mac makes the bong noise and the screen does not come on and my monitor just said no input....

any clues??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hey Guys,

Just installed a new graphics card into my powermac G4 agp slot (Nvidia GF 6200 256MB DDR2 AGP Graphics Card came from another working powermac)

When i then turned the mac on it made the bong noise and started booting into osx and then went to a page saying please restart mac. Everytime it boots it brings up this messsage.

So i took the card out and tried putting in the old card to try that. same thing happened.

So i reverted back to the new card and now the mac makes the bong noise and the screen does not come on and my monitor just said no input....

any clues??

It could be any number of things. Perhaps you accidentally dislodged a ram chip or hard drive cable on the motherboard. Worst case scenario... you shorted something out. I would recheck everything in there to be sure everything is seated in properly. If that fails, try running the Apple Hardware Test off your original install discs. If you can't even boot off of that, then it looks grim.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the AGP slot may have some bent connectors or needs cleaning. The machine is old and when removing and replacing cards such as video, there's always a danger of damaging the slot or shorting something out.

Try some isopropyl alcohol swabs in the slot and at the same time, move the card in and out several times. If the connectors are OK and just dirty, that should clean them off. However, if the slot itself is bad, there's nothing more you can do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.