Lock image present when trying to connect to WI-FI

Reaction score
Hi,

I am not a Mac user yet, but have been trying to help a user access the WI-FI at our local senior center. There is a screen that comes up listing the various wi-fi connections that are available, and they all have the image of a lock, in the locked position, on the line that describes the connection.

What is the purpose of the image? If the connection is somehow locked, how would we unlock it?

I do not know the OS on this student's computer, but if necessary, I can find out.

Thanks to all for any help.

Kind regards,

Shel Belinkoff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
The lock icon means that the particular network is a secure network. To connect to a secure network you will need the correct password and/or pass phrase. You need to get that info from the person who set up the wireless network.

OP
S
Reaction score
The lock icon means that the particular network is a secure network. To connect to a secure network you will need the correct password and/or pass phrase. You need to get that info from the person who set up the wireless network.

Thanks. That's just what I needed to know. We had the correct password, so not being able to connect to the network is some other problem, and I think I know where to look. Much appreciate your help.

Shel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.