Mail problem - Password rejected

Reaction score
I've seen this mentioned before but am yet to find a solution so I thought I'd start a new topic, hope that is ok.

Recently my email that has been working fine up to then, started asking for my password for just one acount (of many), every time it checks email.
Very very annoying.

"The POP server “pop.tele2.nl” rejected the password for user"

When I give the password, everything is fine... for a few minutes.
This is a NEW problem, so all the settings are good.
Correct password, every thing just as it always was and as it should be.

I did the keychain thing, trying to repair the password, then removing it all together, etc, etc.

Still no good.

I think it may have started after I had to delete a few files so that mail would rebuild the emails, you know when mail stops showing you the content of messages.
But am not totally sure.
I've had to do a lot of messing around when I changed servers.

BUT everything is fine with my other emails and the settings never changed!

I googled a lot and learned that many people have this problem, sometimes it sorts itself out, sometimes they find a solution that works for them but not for me somehow.
I am hoping there is something I can do besides hope that it will eventually fix itself.

I am on macbook os x 10.5.8

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've had the same thing happen. One solution that worked for me was to access the mail server on line and reset the password from there. Of course that means you need to go back to the mail program and do likewise.

OP
J
Reaction score
THANK YOU!
I had a good poke around the webmail site of my email provider and that did it!
When you hear about this issue you somehow think it is an issue inside your computer, just had to look to the other side of the cable :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear it's fixed. Have fun and visit us often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.