High CPU usage with nothing running

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz C2D (Black), 4GB RAM, 320GB Disk, MAC OSX 10.6.1, AC, 80Gig Classic, iPhone 16G 3G
This evening my macbook started doing something very strange. It would appear I have a CPU running a full speed, 70+ temp and the battery life halfed.

I have checked 'top' in terminal and I can't work out what's causing the issue. I have closed all the apps I can find and still runs like it's rendering something.

Has anyone got any advise as to how I find the problem?

Jerry.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz C2D (Black), 4GB RAM, 320GB Disk, MAC OSX 10.6.1, AC, 80Gig Classic, iPhone 16G 3G
Right I just ran 'ps -ef' and found that it would appear to be the printer driver for the wifi Lexmark. Flipping rubbish ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz CD2 2GHz 667MHz iPhone 8GMHz
saved by jezster

Right I just ran 'ps -ef' and found that it would appear to be the printer driver for the wifi Lexmark. Flipping rubbish ...

Jezster; you just saved me. I had found plenty of threads with people going crazee, like myself, from high CPU usage, reason unknown. Hot machine, fans blazing away, "processors run hot, the price of using a lappie, etc." was the advice given.
I knew something was desperately wrong, and the moment I saw your post I knew it was the answer, printer drivers on pending work! problem sorted!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz CD2 2GHz 667MHz iPhone 8GMHz
How does one run 'ps -ef' ? and what does that do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.