2004 office problem in 10.5

Reaction score
Hi

I recently did a update from 10.4 to 10.5 and Microsoft word 2004 loads and then hangs, it gets to the select office program screen and it just hangs. It doesn't come up as not responding on the apple-alt esc window. It is a white macbook - anyone have any ideas? I have tried running the update but it says the copy of office cannot be found...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Have you updated the OS yet to 10.5.2. Resolved it for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It does happen that an upgrade may necessitate re-installing some applications. Get out your Office disk, hit uninstall and see if a clean install will help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
When I got this new Mac Pro, I installed Office 2004, figuring that even though it would have to run under Rosetta, the increased speed of the machine would offset the Rosetta slowdown, and it would run at about the same subjective speed as it did on my old PowerMac G5. Not so! It was a lot slower. AND, as you have observed, it would hang, it would crash, it was just not very satisfactory.

In the end, I played around with NeoOffice for a while, and then went out and purchased Office 2008. NeoOffice, despite being Intel native, is also amazingly bloated and slow.

A word to the wise to everyone considering Office 2008 though. It is no speed demon either, even on this new Mac Pro. Leave it to Microsoft to create a software package that can bring even a 3.2 GHz 8 core machine to its knees!

That having been said, I will give MS some credit. They have done a nice job with Office 2008. Unlike Office 2004, it now sports the look n feel of a real Mac application - I find it more natural to use than Office 2004 was.

Reaction score
Amen! Office 2008 operates like it's running on a 600mhz machine. Dual Core BS BS!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.