iPod Mini Problem

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post. Anyways, my mother bought a used iPod mini from a yard sale for $5. Supposedly it was sold because the owner just bought a touch. She said she was the original owner and there was nothing wrong with it (of course).

The girl offered to give my mom the cables for it, but being in a hurry my mom told her she already has a cable for it. My mom only has usb iPhone cable with wall plug. She plugged it into the wall for about an hour, then I plugged it into her Mac and did an erase and sync. After that I got an update message and like an idiot, hit okay.

When it was finished the update (or so I thought) it said it had to be plugged into a wall adaptor, and displayed a graphic which looks like a Macbook charger. I plugged it back into the wall, and 8 hours later it still shows the adaptor graphic. I tried to reboot it and it goes from the Apple logo back to the adaptor graphic. After the initial charge and before the erase and sync it worked great.

Any ideas on what I can do??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The iPod Mini needs to be plugged into a Firewire charger to charge it and take that message away. I gave mine to my niece and had to do that for her when I reset it.

It will charge Via USB though once you get rid of that message. Your mom should have taken the cables as their might have been the Firewire charger also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.