ipad permanently disabled

Reaction score
i'm going to make this short and sweet; (inadvertently) did the ios 7 update on my ipad2; got locked out due to "passcode," (whatever); have researched everything; have restored ipad as new only to find i cannot use it b/c i refuse to update to itunes 11 (did that 1-1/2 years ago and lost over 300 songs i had purchased and had receipts for so am now running itunes 10.3 (and yes, successfully recovered my purchased songs by downgrading). have a pc here also that i could use; have researched google play, copytrans manager, ecoute -- still cannot find a viable option that will make this ipad useable. can someone with more tech knowledge please, please guide/direct me where to go; i have a 64 gb ipad that is totally worthless to me. there must be a workaround !! i will sit here and observe in the hopes that i can get an answer before a moderator deletes/edits my post. i feel i'm a pretty resourceful person but i'm in way over my head on this and i am just sick about all this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i will sit here and observe in the hopes that i can get an answer before a moderator deletes/edits my post.

What makes you think they would do this??

i'm going to make this short and sweet; (inadvertently) did the ios 7 update on my ipad2; got locked out due to "passcode," (whatever)...

Can you give more detail on this?

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have been locked out because you forgot your passcode, have done a reset, and have installed iOS 7 on your iPad, you'll need to update iTunes to version 11.

See this Apple KB Article: LINK

I don't know why you lost all your music the last time you updated to iTunes 11, but if you make a backup, you can always restore your music.

OP
K
Reaction score
sorry, have been "trolling" the mac discussions (re moderator delete, etc); i admit, i'm paranoid.

i don't want to update to itunes 11; i did that before; they refused to re-download the 300+ songs i had purchased so i found an article detailing how to downgrade to v.10 and used my time machine to recover all my songs. my music is everything to me (kind of like the tv is to my husband) and i'm not willing to take a chance losing it again. isn't there some kind of work-around; i have access to a pc that i could download itunes on

to chscag: i never set a passcode on my ipad, therefore i did not forget it. i cannot do a reset even tho i try because it tells me i have to to have itunes 11 to "set up as new"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You stated in your first post that you were locked out due to the passcode. I assume now that you have reset your iPad, iTunes is telling you that you have to update it to iTunes 11. And you're afraid of losing all your music again?

Are all your purchased songs now in iTunes 10 on your Mac? I assume they are.... What I suggest is that you make a backup of your iTunes library to an external hard drive, flash drive, whatever. Or use Time Machine and make a backup. If you have a good backup of your iTunes library, you should not have to worry about losing your songs when updating to iTunes 11. I and others here have updated iTunes many times and have never lost music or anything else.

OP
K
Reaction score
chscag: i understand you and others have updated itunes many times and not had any problems; however, i have and it took me probably a week or more trying to figure out how to get my music back. i'm really not trying to be difficult but there has to be another way, doesn't there? can you blame me if i'm really not comfortable doing another itunes update based on my last experience? i have had 4+ phone calls with the applecare people and they have basically been "less than truthful" re how to restore my ipad so what am i supposed to believe

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can well understand your apprehension about updating iTunes after losing your music the first time. There just isn't any other way to get your iPad up and working again unless you have a PC or another Mac that has iTunes 11 installed on it. Then you could attach your iPad to that machine and update it that way.

But really, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to just make a backup of your music and let iTunes update? If anything goes wrong, you can always restore your music from the backup. But of course, it's up to you.

OP
K
Reaction score
i don't have another mac; i have another pc, won't that accomplish the same thing? please, i am so desperate; i am so tired of researching all this; i've been at this for over a week now. there just has to be another way.

OP
K
Reaction score
isn't there a way to use my pc to download itunes 11, transfer my music to that pc from my mac and then restore/set as new my ipad from the pc ??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i don't have another mac; i have another pc, won't that accomplish the same thing?

Yes, you can update your iPad 2 using iTunes on your PC. Do you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your PC? If not, go to the Apple site and download it. It's a free application and should install iTunes 11. After you have iTunes 11 installed on your PC, attach your iPad 2 with the supplied cable and let it install iOS 7.1.1 which is the latest version. Remember though, from then on you will need to sync your iPad 2 with the PC not your Mac. Let us know if you need any more assistance with this.

OP
K
Reaction score
okay, i get that; i am more than willing to install itunes 11 on my pc. my question is, is there a way to get my itunes songs (on imac, ver 10.3, onto that ipad once i update it on the pc, thru another music manager, etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may be able to use Apple's "Home Sharing" to load all your music to the PC. Once the music is on your PC and in the iTunes library, it will sync to the iPad. Please read up on the Apple Home Sharing article which you can find here.

OP
K
Reaction score
correct me if i'm wrong but, as i understand it, you have to have the same versions of itunes running on both computers to enable home sharing ...and therein lies the problem

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you are correct. I just read thru the instructions once again and it says in order to set it up, you must be running the latest version of iTunes on your computers.

That will present a problem.... The only other way I can think of that might work is to copy your iTunes library from the Mac to your PC. Even if you get the iPad updated to iOS 7.1.1, iTunes will not sync your iPad to your Mac because it's going to require you to update to iTunes 11 first on the Mac.

Here's a video which shows how to copy your iTunes library from the Mac to your PC.

I'm not sure if you want to try it, but look at the video and see what you think.

OP
K
Reaction score
i watched the video; will watch again tomorrow when i'm more awake ... perhaps this could be a solution. as i said, i'm willing to try anything. so what you're thinking is, if i download itunes 11 on the pc, then import my music from the imac into the pc, then plug the ipad into the pc, then i could download music from the pc onto the ipad (as i said in the original post, i can re-enter my contacts, emails, bookmarks, etc manually)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that should work just as you said. Of course the important thing is to get your library of music copied to the PC from your Mac. Once you have iTunes 11 on the PC and the music library intact, you can sync with the iPad. You'll also be able to sync any movies, contacts, iBooks, and so forth from the PC to your iPad.

OP
K
Reaction score
chscag -- thank you so much; this is the most encouraging info i have received thru this whole week. i have to get some sleep (been up since 2:00 a.m. this morning trying, again, to figure out what to do). can i repost tomorrow and let you know if any of this works?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure, I'll be in and out tomorrow afternoon but I'll be here after 5:00 PM until late. Let us know how it all turns out. And get some sleep. :)

OP
K
Reaction score
well, chscag, it's not going well; i had to go buy a new hd (my old one wasn't large enuf); it took over 6 hrs to format it; i copied my itunes folder to the hd and copied it over to the pc; there are no playlists (even tho i copied the entire itunes folder). i'm very discouraged. i don't understand why this has to be so difficult

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.