Apple Mac

Reaction score
Hello

I have owned a iphone for numerous years it took me ages to take the plunge
likewise it was the same for the ipad2 . I am now the proud owner of a Ipad2
which is truly awesome. I visited the main apple store in Milton Keynes and have now decided to start saving for a home computer - The one that has caught my eye is the all in one with the 27'' inch Screen priced around £1300.00.*2.7 GHZ Quad
What I did not want to do however is purchase this particular all in one if it was due to be replaced - I already know that there is a new operating system coming out called lion.
The other quandary is this I use XL plus word at work *do apple do an equivalent that will allow me to open my files.
And last of all on my current windows operated laptop I am currently running
norton 360 - One of my friends has informed me that you don't have to install a fire it comes with its own defence - how good is this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
IMHO there is no need for AV on a Mac and your router/modem should have a firewall
turned on or activated also if wireless it should be WPA2.

You could try Open Office and see how well that works for you and its free.
Another option is Office for Mac.
If you think you will need more things from Windows theres Bootcamp to dual boot
or Parallels,Fusion and Virtual Box if you want to run it in a virtual enviroment.

Reaction score
All computers, in fact most electrical items from Washing Machines to Toasters are constantly being replaced with new models so if you wait and see if a new model comes out all you'll end up doing is waiting as it's a never ending process as new advances in technology and design come in to play.

The best thing to do is see when the particular model you are interested in first came on the market to see if it is recent or not.

Regardless of when you buy it, you wont be disappointed with the experience of owning a Mac computer!!

:)

C

chas_m

The iMacs were refreshed last month, so now is an ideal time to buy a new iMac. I would not expect a *significant* change in iMacs now for quite some time.

You may wish to wait until Lion is out to save yourself $30/give yourself a little more time to save, but other than that there's no reason not to buy now.

If you use Excel and Word a lot, I'd recommend buying Microsoft Office for Mac for maximum compatibility. The OpenOffice suggestion is good too, but be prepared for some changes -- it's close but it's not quite the same thing (should be very compatible however).

You do not need any anti-virus or anti-malware or firewall software on your computer. Apple is already providing the anti-malware (though of course common sense helps), there aren't any viruses, and your router or modem already has a far superior hardware firewall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
You may wish to wait until Lion is out to save yourself $30/give yourself a little more time to save, but other than that there's no reason not to buy now.

I can't confirm this, but I do believe that anyone who buys a Mac between now and when Lion ships next month can get it for free. So, even the upgrade shouldn't be any issue for prospective Mac buyers right now.

Can someone verify if this is correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
I can't confirm this, but I do believe that anyone who buys a Mac between now and when Lion ships next month can get it for free. So, even the upgrade shouldn't be any issue for prospective Mac buyers right now.

Can someone verify if this is correct?

Apple - OS X Lion - Get up to date.

Anyone who purchases a new Mac on or after June 6 qualifies for a free upgrade to Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I use Office for Mac as my business is all Windows PC. It's very inexpensive but does not have Access or Outlook. Our company uses Google mail so it's not a big deal that Outlook is not there. I rarely use Access so it was not a big deal either. Heavy excel user and word and they work very good.

I only wish Quicken for Mac was closer to the Windows version.

Regards,

Pat

C

chas_m

Outlook (or at least something CALLED Outlook) is indeed included in the Home & Business Mac version of Office (2011). It's not included in the Home & Student version.

I have to say, Microsoft strikes again in terms of deliberately causing consumer confusion. Putting "home" in both of them is just plain dumb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
Thanks chas_m you are indeed correct. I don't use it (bad experiences in the past) and so completely forgot about it. (Didn't bother to look either.)

Thanks for setting the record straight. As a side note the Home & Business Mac version also includes Powerpoint.

Regards,

Pat

Reaction score
I thought I read that the iMacs were having some wireless issues connecting on the n band. Any truth to that?

C

chas_m

Not that I'm aware of. We haven't seen any reports of such behaviour (that I've noticed) on this forum, and I'm sure I would have seen it if it were a real issue.

Reaction score
Hmm I thought I read that on here somewhere. It may have been in the reviews on the apple site then. Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Hmm I thought I read that on here somewhere. It may have been in the reviews on the apple site then. Thx
I have 4 Macs (2 IMacs), and they connect to my N network just fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Some have issues with encryption not just new Mac's don't play well with WEP.
Some have their router set up incorrectly or its incompatible with Mac.

OP
bigandbald
Reaction score
First mac computer

I am shortly going to purchase my first apple mac computer - the one that has caught my eye is the all in one *27" £1300.00*

I know lion is out now but what is delaying my purchase is that I have heard * a rumour apple are about to change the screen to a higher resolution screen - is this true and when is this likely to be released?

Plus is apple likely to also offer a touch sensitive screen similar to most windows computers for example (Acer all in one computers) ?
:Lips-Are-Sealed:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not true. The iMac line was just refreshed in May of this year so it's very unlikely that they would change the resolution. You may be thinking of the new rumored Apple Cinema Display which may indeed sport a higher resolution than the previous models.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am shortly going to purchase my first apple mac computer - the one that has caught my eye is the all in one *27" £1300.00*

I know lion is out now but what is delaying my purchase is that I have heard * a rumour apple are about to change the screen to a higher resolution screen - is this true and when is this likely to be released?

I'd be surprised if it was. The 27" display is quite high resolution as it is - as a matter of fact, we've seen a number of complaints about font size as a result. As far as a time frame, that's anyone's guess. Apple is absolutely famous for its secrecy surrounding product releases (and if you're familiar with their history, you'll understand why). Anything you read elsewhere is mostly speculation.

My advice is to buy the machine you need when you need it - it will continue to serve those needs long after an updated model is released.

Plus is apple likely to also offer a touch sensitive screen similar to most windows computers for example (Acer all in one computers) ?
:Lips-Are-Sealed:

Not likely. Although the current crop of touch screen desktops and laptops are quite novel, that novelty wears off within minutes of using one. Human beings tend to suffer a malady known as "gorilla arm" - essentially, your arm tends to get tired of being held out, perpendicular to a screen to manipulate your (intended to be mouse driven) applications for more than a few minutes. Like 3D TV, it's one of those fads that looks great in theory, but doesn't work so well in the real world.

Apple instead likes to keep touch interactions to where they make sense - on a pointing device - hence the "Magic Trackpad" and oversized trackpads on Mac notebooks, both of which fully support multitouch functionality.

C

chas_m

Apple has even gone out of its way to show off how stupid a touchscreen desktop computer is for anything other than momentary use, so I take that as "a hint" that they're not interested in raising the price of their products several hundred bucks just to get a touchscreen on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.