webcam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Hey, im new to mac, as ive always used a pc
I generally use messenger for mac to speak to my msn contacts, however i am unable to use the webcam feature.
I have tried alternatives such as aMSN which seems to give a white screen to some contacts. I have also tried Mercury however i found this slowed down my mac and crashed quite frequently.
Are there any alternative messengers available?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
Hi mate,

Im in exactly the same boat got my mac pro this morning. like you i only know windows so i's gonna take me awhile to get used to osx. and in the 8 or so hours i've had i can say it's great so easy to use. the only thing i'm slighly disapointed is that isight cant be used in msn. amsn just did'nt work for me. so at the moment i have no use for this great little web cam. it's the only downside for me. maybe in the future a way round this will be available.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would strongly recommend Skype. It has Mac, PC and Linux clients, which makes it pretty universal, and supports both voice and video calling. I use it regularly and love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
amsn works great with webcam, problem is that you probably have to open some ports on your router, which can be a pain in the ***. The skype route is much easier though.

hey, things are censored here

OP
mikeyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
open ports on my router...
how do i do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
I would strongly recommend Skype. It has Mac, PC and Linux clients, which makes it pretty universal, and supports both voice and video calling. I use it regularly and love it.

i only talk to msn cantacts so can i still use skype?

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
No, Skype can only meaningfully talk to other Skype users, or the outside world via standard telephone voice stuff.

Note by the way that Skype was designed for working behind firewalls - in general, I have found no need to open ports on my router/firewall at all. It works seamlessly despite this. No application ports opened, no port forwarding, no mess at all.

It can achieve this since it passes everything through its central servers. This, and its proprietary protocol, allow it to work through firewalls, NATS, NAPTS and other internet address "massaging" devices.

T

todd51

open ports on my router...
how do i do this?

It's called port-forwarding.

For example, on my Linksys router I have port-forwarding enabled under the preferences. Just put down the port range and enable it, you should be good to go.

OP
mikeyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
port forwarding, ive heard of this which to me is a start lol
but i know i will set it up wrong if at all
i have a netgear 128mbps kit :)
help much appreciated lol thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.