Question about a western digital 500gb passport hdd

Reaction score
I bought a western digital 500gb passport hdd a few months ago for my Dell laptop and I'm planning on upgrading to an iMac soon. I was curious to see whether or not this hard drive will work with my new mac, because I see that western digital makes them for specifically for
macs as well. And if not are there any ways to make it work? I really don't want to lose all of my music :(

thanks so much everyone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes, it should work just fine. Those "Made for Mac" hard drives are just marketing ploys to get more money out of people.

Keep in mind that you'll need to have the drive formatted as FAT32 if you want the Mac to be able to write to it. OS X can only "read" an NTFS drive.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well if your WD 500GB passport Hard drive is formatted as FAT32, you will be able to use it for both Mac and Windows. The only limitation is that you can't write anything larger than 4GB to the Hard Drive.

NTSF needs special drivers for a Mac to be able to write to the Hard Drive, it shouldn't have any problems reading what's on the HDD though.

Then we have Mac OSX Journaled which can only be read and written on by a Mac.

OP
P
Reaction score
Awesome guys thanks! luckily it is
formatted as FAT32 so I guess I should be fine. Big relief :)
thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.