More Ram?

Reaction score
Hi All

I dont know much about computers, so I appreciate any advice I can get. I plan to be getting a new IMac in the near future. A friend of mine told me to "get more Ram, you won't regret it". But I also know he lives on his computer. So just looking for advice.

I plan to do the basic computer "stuff". Surf the web, email,word processing, spreadsheets. I'm not really a gamer, don't really use my computer to watch tv/movies. The one thing I do enjoy is photo editing/slideshows. (at this point I plan on sticking with ILife to do this sort of thing)

So my question than is, do you think I am fine with the 4G or Ram, or should I upgrade to the 8? I'd prefer not to spend the money if I dont have to, but if as my friend says you really think I won't regret it, I might be willing?

As an aside if one day I do upgrade to Appeture, will I notice a difference than?

Thanks for any opinions or advice.
Cheers

Reaction score
4Gb should be fine for you. I use Aperture right now with 4 Gb and it runs fine. You probably won't notice the upgrade to be honest and I doubt you will use it all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
"get more Ram, you won't regret it".

You will if you spend a fortune on it and don't use it all.

4GB is more than fine for what you're doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2010 - i5 Quad Core 2.8ghz
I had 8GB on my Windows machine and it never fell over or slowed down. My new iMac has 4 ... but I decided against the extra 4 from Apple because they wanted £160.

Novatech does the same thing with a lower spec brand (but FIVE year guarantee), for £39.99.

I will do that pretty soon :)

I work in 3D and 2D Apps all day for a living so I use a lot of Ram.

Reaction score
4gb runs well for me seeing I'm a gamer. (real time graphics uses allot of memory and processor power) But 4GB is good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.