• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Is the standard iMac enough to edit AVCHD?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have probably a rather noobish question concerning AVCHD and the standard $1200 iMac. Do you think that the iMac will have enough horsepower to edit AVCHD video shot at native 24p with a resolution of 1280x720? I would think a dual-core 3.33Ghz processor would be enough, but I've heard a lot of people say that you need a lot of power to edit AVCHD video. Does anybody have any hands-on experience with editing AVCHD video on the standard iMac?

Thanks to any and all who respond!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.2, FCE 4.0.1, CS 1
Dunno why not. I am using AVCHD on my MacBook Pro using Final Cut Express 4. Works like a champ.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I use a lesser machine to edit AVCHD footage many times (a 2.0GHz '09 mini and a 2.4GHz unibody macbook) when I'm not around my Mac Pro.

What you have to understand with Mac editing of AVCHD video in iMovie, FCE or FCP you are not editing native AVCHD footage - it gets transcoded at import to a different, more edit friendly format that takes less CPU horsepower to work with. In iMovie and FCE the codec used is AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) and in FCP it's ProRES 4:2:2 or ProRES 4:4:4 (depending on version of FCP and which codec you choose to use).

AIC and ProRES takes a LOT more space then AVCHD, you need to figure 3-6x space requirements for AVCHD->AIC and 6-10x space for ProRES. The upside is of course, you don't need to do a lot of decompression/recompression on the fly and so it requires a fraction of the horsepower necessary to edit compared to AVCHD native (which is highly compressed).

OP
MacWindows
Reaction score
Just in case anybody is interested...

This is the camera I intend to buy. The quality it can produce is absolutely stunning for a consumer product. Here's an example video of a talented person's work with it.

That's the kind of work I want to do, and I'm glad to know the standard $1200 iMac can handle it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Ooooo...you're going to have some fun with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
BTW - one thing that wasn't discussed, that you should be warned about, you'll want to get an external firewire 800 drive to hook into that Mac to use as your scratch drive - especially when using FCE or FCP, Premiere, etc.. I don't know if you're going to use Final Cut or if you're planning on using iMovie. I'm sure there is a way to move where iMovie uses its temporary/capture space to, but I couldn't tell you how to save my life (I use FCE and FCP)

OP
MacWindows
Reaction score
BTW - one thing that wasn't discussed, that you should be warned about, you'll want to get an external firewire 800 drive to hook into that Mac to use as your scratch drive - especially when using FCE or FCP, Premiere, etc.. I don't know if you're going to use Final Cut or if you're planning on using iMovie. I'm sure there is a way to move where iMovie uses its temporary/capture space to, but I couldn't tell you how to save my life (I use FCE and FCP)

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'll be shopping around for an external HDD soon as well, since all of the HD footage I'll be shooting will take up a LOT of space. It's amazing how much HDD space a video clip can take up.

Oh, and I'll likely be using FCE for editing. I'd like to be able to afford Final Cut Studio, but that's not gonna happen. :p I'll get by through the use of another special effects/color grading program called EffectsLab Pro. Sure, it's not Color or Motion, but I gotta do what I can afford! Lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.