Macbook: trouble recording audio

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forums here

I am encountering a problem when trying to record audio of any sort on my 2008 Macbook, be it through Audacity, Photobooth, or any other program.

After I have finished recording my voice, or anything, when I playback the recording, there is a loud constant buzzing. I'm 100% sure it's not from outside the computer, I record in a silent room and the buzzing is still there.

I'm assuming it's something in my computer that's buzzing? Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post. If you've posted in the wrong forum, ask a Staff member to move it for you rather than posting it again in another forum.
Thanks.

OP
P
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't sure what I was doing, but I did ask for that other thread to be deleted.

Still looking for answers. I need to record some things for some assignments, and I'd like to be able to do it on my own computer :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you tell us a bit more about the circumstances? Are you using your mac's internal mic or some other third-party mic? How does it connect? What recording software have you tried?

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm using the internal mic. I've tried practically anything on my computer that can record audio, ie photobooth, iMovie, Audacity, screencapture software, garageband

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Does this sound like the hum you hear sometimes in a stereo if things are not connected/grounded correctly? That usually is not an issue with the internal mic though unless something is going wrong. At this point I would probably pick up a cheap USB chat mic and try that. If that works then it might suggest there is something wrong with the internal mic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.