G4 800 w 384MB or G4 933 w 256MB

J

jp75

I plan to buy an ibook and as a new mac user I don't know if I should go for a better CPU clock speed or more RAM. On windows XP, for my use I feel 256Mb is enough (Word + 6 or 7 browser windows + mail + itunes) but it may be different on OS X ... Any advice or benchmark would help . Thanks

OP
T

trenollet

Either one of those systems would be nice. Obviously the 933 would have a 14" screen. You would want to get as much RAM as you can, but 256 will be enough to run standard apps like word processing and excel. On the other side, the 800 with 12" display is nice and compact.

If you decide to uprgade the RAM, don't buy it from Apple, get it though a third party, it is much cheaper.

OP
S

sirlan

jp75 said:
I plan to buy an ibook and as a new mac user I don't know if I should go for a better CPU clock speed or more RAM. On windows XP, for my use I feel 256Mb is enough (Word + 6 or 7 browser windows + mail + itunes) but it may be different on OS X ... Any advice or benchmark would help . Thanks

As a general rule, I'd go with a faster processor. You can always add more memory later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I suggest going for the big guns as well. I would rather have the upgrade and not need it, then need it and not have it. This is an investment for a good long time, you may not need it now, but hey, you never know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.