hooking up projector via S-Video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
Hello all,

My school district purchase a projector for my program, but it is intended for home-theater use. Thus, it only has s-video inputs. This is the projector: Newegg.com - Recertified: InFocus IN1 640 x 480 DLP Projector 500 max ANSI lumens 1500:1

However, it does not detect my macbook, nor does my macbook detect the projector. I have the Apple Video/S-video projector adapter, and even when I hook it up to my TV via the video, the TV does not recognize it. I have tried "detect displays" to no avail. I have gone through 3 adapters (two Dynex and now an Apple) but none of them seem to work. I have shut down my computer and and the projector and powered them up with the projector plugged in to the computer with no luck.

Is there something I am missing? I have also hit command + F2 and that doesn't work.

Please - any help would be really appreciated!!

thank you in advance!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I "assume" you have an older MacBook with mini-DVI output and are using a mini-DVI to Video adapter?

OP
kuklachica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
Yes, I am using a macbook provided by my employer (a school district) that has a mini-DVI output. However, the video adapter does not work because the macbook was made after January of 2009 (video card not compatible with the dongle) and I have been able to find a dongle that is compatible with the current macbooks that has an composite video/s-video output. I am not sure how to work around this?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You're looking at having to buy a conversion box/cable that will convert the digital signal to analog. This is about the cheapest one I'm aware of. As you can see, it costs more than the projector itself.

The best suggestion I've got is for the school district send that projector back and get one that at least has a VGA or DVI connection. Those pretty much all still have S-video and composite video connections. Without the basic connections that it will need to have: DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite; the projector, no matter how cheap, is a waste of money because it will be useless to any number of people that may try to use it. Any device without a single digital connection in a business/corporate/school setting is quickly going to be outdated if not already.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.