Keychain and RoboForm. How similar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro Leopard 2.0GB RAM 2.6GHZ Core 2 Duo 250GB HDD
So i recently started exploring Mac, and so far i find it great. My only problems ofcourse is the programs. When i was on Windows, i used Roboform because have sooo many sites and sometimes i give them all different passwords. On Roboform, it automatically loads up the password for the site so that all i have to do is just click and it autofills the login form for me. I don't mind that Keychain Access doesn't have Auto Form Filler. But my confusion is on what Keychain Access actually does. Does it just store pw that's it? Is there a way for it to autofill for me? or do i have to open Keychain Access and look at the pw and then type it myself?

I honestly don't know how to work Keychain Access. I use Camino as my web browser and i am on a Mac OS 10.4.6. Tiger
Your help is very well appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It should actually just autofill the fields for you.

The first time you enter a password on the web (your browser must support this: The latest camino & safari do) it will ask you if it should store your information for you. Click ok and it will always autofill in the fields the next time you visit the site.

Safari can even detect & autofill address, telephone, email & other fields from your address book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
The thing that RoboForm does, that I miss very much in OS X, is that it allows for an infinite number of username/pw combinations for the same site, and while I don't have a lot of such sites, it's a great feature when needed (Gmail account logins for example). Roboform will also fill forms (banking sites and others) that normally just don't allow auto-fill (although Cami-Tools for Camino will provide that functionality). The closest thing I've found to filling that void is Opera's Wand feature, which does all of the things I mentioned above. Though Opera's current beta release of version 9, is still just a bit rough around the edges, once it's in final release, I'll be switching to it as my default browser, for that reason more than anything else.

Mark

OP
mimi8
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro Leopard 2.0GB RAM 2.6GHZ Core 2 Duo 250GB HDD
Thanks alot guys, I think i will switced to Opera just because of that feature it has. Makes it alot easier for me. I really do hope RoboForm makes a version for Mac, that would be awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
geekboy2000 said:
The thing that RoboForm does, that I miss very much in OS X, is that it allows for an infinite number of username/pw combinations for the same site, and while I don't have a lot of such sites, it's a great feature when needed (Gmail account logins for example).

Keychain can remember multiple users/passwd combos. I use that all the time for different webmail sites and a few other places.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
schweb said:
Keychain can remember multiple users/passwd combos. I use that all the time for different webmail sites and a few other places.

Really? I think I've encountered a "Keep old" or "Replace", . . or something like that. I'll have to do some experimenting. If it does so, don't you still have to enter the username? Roboform (and Opera's Wand) pops a list, so you can see and select from the list of multiple entries. If keychain can do that, it would in fact, completely replace Roboform. Thanks for the info. I'll try that with a few such logins today.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just noticed that FireFox 1.5.0.4, also provides a dropdown selection box for usernames where there are multiple logins for the same site. I don't recall when they implemented this (it seems to be unrelated to keychain functionality), but it was a pleasant surprise. As for keychain and Camino, I just confirmed that "remember new" does wipe the former login/pw in that situation, unless keychain can be used in a way that I'm as yet unfamiliar with (very possible).

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
In safari, you can enter multiple username & password combinations, and then just have to hit 'arrow down' to pull up the list of saved usernames.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
In safari, you can enter multiple username & password combinations, and then just have to hit 'arrow down' to pull up the list of saved usernames.

So it does! Thank you. :)
Do you know of any Safari add-on that will provide the "ignore autocomplete=off" functionality of CamiTools? (force saving of PW's on sites that normally won't allow it).

Mark

R

roustem

1Passwd

After switching to Mac, I spent about a year complaining about how much I miss RoboForm -- I had a few hundred passwords stored in RoboForm and there were all generated (impossible to remember).

A few months ago, my partner and I decided to stop whining and do something about it. We quit our day jobs (we do not have to use Windows anymore!) and now we are just a couple of weeks away from releasing 1Passwd 1.0 -- form filler and password manager for OS X. It has extensions for both Safari and Firefox (I keep switching between them all the time) and can import bookmarks from RoboForm, Safari and Firefox into its own keychain.

There is a functional beta version at
http://1passwd.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.