PowerMac G4 HELP!.

Reaction score
Hi there,
I was just on my Powermac g4 (I know very old-vintage), I Plugged in my external hard drive and discovered a switch that toggles between wattage on the back of the PSU- I live in England so it is 240w.
I switched it to the other option which must have been less because there was an extremely loud bang and The whole house went dead,
Obviously the power supply is dead but is the HD ok?

(plus I have another PSU, should I replace it)?
HELP!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That wasn't a very good idea...you really should read up on things before you start "throwing" switches!;)

As you mentioned...the UK is 240volt...the other setting was probably 120volt (which is used in the United States and maybe other places).

I wasn't sure by your post...but did the loud bang come from the Powermac G4...or somewhere else in your house (a blown fuse or a tripped breaker)?

Also...if the loud bang came from the Powermac G4's power supply...it may have been a fuse in the power supply that "popped"...and it may be replaceable.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. By the way...why did you "switch" that switch in the first place...what did you expect to happen?...just curious.:)

p.p.s. The HD should be ok...but you won't know for sure until you get the computer running...or can install the HD in an external case...and test it on a 2nd computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Wow what on earth made you do that? That is like ticking a pair of scissors in the power point to see if they are live! Who knows what has been damaged and it is going to be and check as you go operation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.