time machine external to external?

Reaction score
I have a question about Leopard's Time Machine.

I'm looking to get a MBP.

I saw the demo on Leopard Time Machine and I think it's great. But what I want to use Leopard Time Machine for is to back up one usb external drive to another usb external drive.

So will time machine backup a usb external drive to another usb external drive?

I using 1.5 TB usb drives.

Reaction score
I'm also interested in this.

I'd also like to know how easy it is to backup two external hdds to a external hdd

OP
G
Reaction score
I'll try it out after I move some files around.

Will time machine delete files on the drive it's using for back up do you know?

Where do we find out how to use the appz any way. My Mac doesn't hook up to the web so the video tutorials don't play. Is there a way to watch the video tutorials on a pc?

thanks

Reaction score
I'll try it out after I move some files around.

Will time machine delete files on the drive it's using for back up do you know?

Where do we find out how to use the appz any way. My Mac doesn't hook up to the web so the video tutorials don't play. Is there a way to watch the video tutorials on a pc?

thanks

I'm just as ignorent to this as you are lol. I've got no idea at all how to use time machine. It's quite a scary thing to start i think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well have toy tried using the the help menu on your mac when in the finder. And pitting time machine into the help function there. That should tell you quite about time machine and how it works/how to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
TM is meant for backing up internal drive to an external drive. It can not backup an external drive to some third drive. You can do that through shell scripts / automator jobs.

Just wondering why would someone want to backup one USB disk to second on a regular basis?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
Just wondering why would someone want to backup one USB disk to second on a regular basis?

I was wondering the exact same thing!

If you wanted to do it then all you would have to do would be to open the two hard drives in finder, and copy the files from one external drive, over to the backup external drive. I cant see that not working.

It seems you are making it very complicated for yourself.

So what you could do is...use time machine to backup your internal hard drive to an external hard drive. That can be automated using time machine. Then backup that external hard drive onto your second external hard drive by the method I mentioned earlier (drag and drop).

Does this make sense?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.