Macbook pro screen goes weird then crashes

Reaction score
Hi guys.
My macbook pro is about 2 years old (2.4ghz Model no A1226).
My poor macbook pro has died and before i've even finished university.
Firstly the hard drive failed, so i replaced it...no problems. Then 3 weeks later the screen freezes whilst browsing the web so i restarted my mac only to discover the following screen shots.

I've contacted apple but they're not really interested. They want me to pay £80 ($130) for them to look at it.

Anyone got any ideas? I reckon graphics chips or logic board :( noooooooooo!

DSCF3505.JPG

DSCF3506.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
Graphics Chip looks like to me .. Apple's are not the only laptops that suffer this fate.

Many other laptops come my way with BGA solder joints that go bad from the heat.

You would think that maybe the computer companies or Graphics chip companies would
figure it out and not use BGA on something that heats up like this and switch to a zif
socket or something like that ... oh wait that would mean that they would last longer
and we would not have to buy new every 2 years... (sry just my 2 cents)

OP
P
Reaction score
Graphics Chip looks like to me .. Apple's are not the only laptops that suffer this fate.

Many other laptops come my way with BGA solder joints that go bad from the heat.

You would think that maybe the computer companies or Graphics chip companies would
figure it out and not use BGA on something that heats up like this and switch to a zif
socket or something like that ... oh wait that would mean that they would last longer
and we would not have to buy new every 2 years... (sry just my 2 cents)

Cheers for that mate. That was my first thought.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.