• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What to do with unneeded computer parts?

Reaction score
So I (like many of you I assume) have amassed quite the cache of cables, cards and other misc. computer parts. There are some that don't work or parts are missing or just aren't needed anymore but aren't worth selling.

I don't want any more for any of the stuff and I would even be willing to play a small fee to get rid of it. I was just wondering what I can do with it all? Most of the big stores have recycling but its for like cell phones or whole computers, etc. What about misc. parts and whatnot? What can I do with them?

jah

Reaction score
i was able to give away some 1g memory modules, there was significant interest on craigslist and or various forums.
-some municipalities offer electronic hardware recycling, Boulder Colorado 4example.
-as your schools if they need some of it (email them).

OP
M
Reaction score
i was able to give away some 1g memory modules, there was significant interest on craigslist and or various forums.
-some municipalities offer electronic hardware recycling, Boulder Colorado 4example.
-as your schools if they need some of it (email them).

A lot of the parts are pretty misc. and useless to most people (extra IDE cables, parts of cases, etc.). I know that places have electronic recycling, but none of the places I saw mentioned anything but "computers" and I wasn't sure if that meant whole computers or parts or what.

Reaction score
Take them to a Thrift store for one last chance,I buy parts there,just got a
Canon Pixma ip4200 printer for $5.00.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
If you're in the UK you can Freecycle them... dunno if you have that over the pond though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5/15"/4gb/250sata
I've got drawers and some Rubbermaid containers full of random stuff from cables, old memory and processors to mice and looking now I see an Iomega zip drive (anyone remember these? haha).

Now that I have my mbp I'm going to either give them away to friends or just chunk them. There isn't a electronic recycling program in my area :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I just hoard it all in huge boxes in the study...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.