Unknown HD stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro: 2.2 gHz, 120gb, glossy. STOLEN :(
My Macbook Pro came in yesterday and I discovered that I had about 90gb of space left on my 120 gb without installing any programs. I've downloaded Disk Inventory, and after transferring some music I have about 85gb left, however with the disk scan I found out that there is about 5gb used from Documents. Would it be safe to delete these documents? Actually, what would you suggest to delete from the hd that is not needed? I deleted most of the printer plug-ins and that's about it yet I still have about 84gb left.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Use this program Xslimmer on all your apps. It clears out unwanted language files and such. Shaved 4GB off my applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
That app costs money. TrimTheFat is free. It will eat all your PowerPC binaries, which are part of the whole 'Universal Binary' fiasco, and leave with only Intel ones, the ones your computer uses.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh thanks for the info. but I have another question, I accidently deleted my User Home thing and I lost all of my user files. Anyway to redo this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Ack...you mean you deleted your 'Home' folder? The one named after your login name? If this is the case, you'll need to completely restore your computer from the restore DVDs in the white envelope inside the MacBook's box.

When you received your computer and it already had around 35 GB eaten up, here is why:
120 GB Advertised capacity = ~111 actual binary/formatted capacity. The operating system with iLife (Garage Band, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto) installed takes up between 15-20 GB of space. SO, you are right on target with where you should be upon un-boxing your new toy.

Follow the directions here about stripping your programs of the PowerPC binaries. Also, run a program called MonoLingual to strip your entire OS X installation of all WRITTEN languages except the one you use (English, Spanish, what-have-you). Just make sure to not remove the language you actually want to use, or you'll have to completely reinstall OS X again.

With all of this done, you can forseeably regain around 10 GB of HDD space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook C2D 1gb ram 120gb
When you use Trimthefat which do you delete after?
Im left with Appname.app and then Appname-U.app

Which one do i delete?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
The Blah-U.app is the fat one. delete it.

P.S. Slimming down iTunes punched it in the face, don't try it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured out what to do with my little User problem. And thanks for all the information on deleting the binaries, but how do I find my binaries? Should I drag the applications i have into trimthefat?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.