VPN on mac question

Reaction score
Hi

I am trying to connect my mac at home with my station at work via VPN.
Unfortunately, at work we work on PC machines. On my PC laptop I can connect with my machine at work and work that way via VPN and then use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to my station there.
Is there a way of doing same thing on Mac?
I tried a few things but can't get connected

thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
What VPN solution is your office network using?

We use a Cisco solution, and there is a Cisco VPN client available for the Mac that works perfectly.

A little more info would be helpful!

OP
I
Reaction score
thanx for your response

I believe it is cisco, but am not 100% sure
On my PC laptop I just installed a new network connection with the address I obtained from them, use my name & password, then under Remote Desktop Connections I use the IP address for my machine at work
that's pretty much all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you describe (at a high level) what the steps were that you went through to install your new network connection on your Windows machine? This is the piece that's missing.

When you want to connect to your office network, all you do is highlight that new network connection, fire up the RDC, enter the IP, and you're in?

OP
I
Reaction score
In the network connections I created a new connection, set up a "home or small office network. That's all.
Under name I specify the address which is abc.name.com
and it connects me.

Under the Remote desktop connection I specify my name and password + IP address

On the Mac site I went to the system preferences, there I click on VPN (L2TP)- there I have configuration setup on VPN Configuration under server address I specified this "abc.name.com" address, have my account name and password, but does not connect me. So I must have entered wrong info somewhere, or there is some other name. I am not a wizard in networking - as you can see...:)

btw, what is RDC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'RDC' = "Remote Desktop Client"

On your Windows machine under "Network Connections" there should be a separate connection for your office VPN. Does it say anything like "Cisco VPN Connection" or "Nortel Client?"

That said, try this:

Go to your Applications Folder and open Internet Connect. Click the VPN toolbar button, choose L2TP or PPTP (your network people at the office will know which one to use). Then enter your server address, account name, and password. Then click Connect.

See if this works and let us know!

OP
I
Reaction score
This is exactly what I've done, but it does not connect me.
I think at work they will move to cisco, so I don't think they are on it at this time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.