Magic mouse acting crazy. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Apologies if this is the wrong section for this type of question but nowhere else seemed to fit.
To make using a computer easier with my disability I have my Mac Mini Aluminium (circa mid 2010) wired up to a 52" plasma screen which is about 8 feet from my comfy armchair. On my lap I have a sort of breakfast table with room for an wireless Apple keyboard and an Apple "Magic" mouse. I have had this whole thing, set up exactly as it is now, since the Mac Mini was delivered, brand new, from the Apple Store.
For the first year or so everything was peachy. I have changed the batteries in this keyboard twice using standard AA batteries (non re-chargeable) and the mouse batteries a lot more times than that using both chargeable or non re-chargeable but never mixing the two.
OK, the problem is that I'll be doing general stuff with the mouse and it will just stop moving. After a few seconds an image pops up on screen showing a mouse along with the message "Connection Lost". But then, after maybe 10 seconds or so, the image pops up again but this time the message says "Connection Found" and the mouse is good to go. This can happen 5 or 6 times in a night.
If I check the mouse in System Prefs it is still showing 100% and, still using the same batteries the mouse will carry on working for another few weeks.
Does anybody have any clues as to how I can stop this from happening? Under normal circumstances a minute with no mouse is no big deal but when you are in the middle of a Poker tournament and you get kicked off the table for not responding in time (by clicking on one of several buttons) it can make you spit. ;)
Cheers,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
From experience it seems the battery level does not read very accurately. Personally keep a register of battery replacements, for keyboard the same as yours about every ten months using Energizer Lithium Ultimate batteries, and about eight weeks for the mouse.

This battery level reading was allegedly to be corrected with OS X.7.3, however time will tell. Saw nothing on this on release notes.

The mouse battery level seems stuck on 100% for six weeks, drops to 99% for a week and a half then starts to fall away sharply. Currently trying out some of the new lithium rechargables to see how long they last.

Play online contract bridge so purchased a spare MM with new batteries turned off on standby. Hope this helps Steve.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
If you have other bluetooth enabled devices nearby, or anything else transmitting in the 2.4GHz bands (excepting your router of course) - try turning them off. There are coexistence mechanisms but it could be something as simple as interference - if it's not the batteries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Mine is doing the same thing after upgrading to 10.7.3 it was fine on 10.7.2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.